Opinion on brake for a browning X-bolt 6.5 PRC

Reemty J

Curious what your opinions are on which brake to but for an X-bolt pro in 6.5PRC? Have brakes on my 7mmSTW and 33 Nosler, I prefer them off the bench, advise/opinions? Thanks! 👍🤝🍺🇺🇸 The factory one does nothing but increase noise

Did it not come with a brake? Nathan at MBM. I have several of his brakes and they work better than he gives them credit for to me. I run four port on my LW 28Nos and 300RUM to me works just as good as his five port. Everyone is different and that rifle in that cartridge....no way would I go above a four port. I have several test brakes of his, and I just run one until I'm happy then order it. He will time and taper for a small amount more. Just send him a cap marked TDC and I have never had one not time perfectly.

I agree with your comment on the stock Xbolt radial brakes. The only thing I like about them is they match with the barrel contour. I've used an Area 419 Hellfire and a Hawkins TI brake on other rifles with 5/8x24 threads with reasonable performance. I really have gotten to the point where I just don't like brakes unless shooting heavy recoiling rifles. I know this doesn't help, but now that I have a suppressor, my brakes just sit in a drawer.

Curious what your opinions are on which brake to but for an X-bolt pro in 6.5PRC? Have brakes on my 7mmSTW and 33 Nosler, I prefer them off the bench, advise/opinions? Thanks! 👍🤝🍺🇺🇸 The factory one does nothing but increase noise
John,

What MB do you have on your 7MM STW and 33N? What thread do you have on the 6.5 PRC? If it is 5/8-24, I might have a couple of different MBs to try if you want.

Ed

The 7mmSTW came with it and it's a Mcworter rifle, the 33 has a 5 port thunder beast, I Believe 5/8 by 24
Ed, I would take you up on that
These are all 5/8-24 thread and all are self-timing.

9E520B27-3BBB-4AE9-A3FB-EB3D4DC03E18.jpeg

L-R: .26 cal from Bughole on my 6.5 CM, .26 cal from MBM on my .264 WM, .28/.30 cal from CSR (creator of the muscle brake, and .30 cal from PVA. All of them will work but the MBM is the most effective. The MBM was for a Sendero contour. As others noted, contact Nathan for a best match for your barrel's contour. Just let me know when you're in town.

Ed what does the self timing mean 😳🤔
Uses two sets of threads, or a jam nut, to "time" the brake to where it's correctly aligned with the bore (baffles parallel to the ground), regardless of where the threads started on the barrel.

Non-self-timing you have to take metal off the back of the brake, the barrel shoulder, or use a shim to get the clocking of the brake correct.

I use Accu-Washers to time brakes that are not self-timing, usually brakes to mount suppressors on.

X2 on MBM. Good guy, great product.

I have a factory radial that came on my X-Bolt in 6.5 PRC works fine but thought I'd try the Browning recoil Hawg for Browning, Both are easy to install and remove but the Recoil Hawg should be leveled each time I put a index Mark on my barrel and brake with a very fine marker works well. Point of impact with both Is slightly different then with out and recoil is less with them but the Recoil Hawg works much better. I had a custom clamp on made for my Tika 300 WSM buy I guy in Canada that is very similar to the Recoil Hawg and that really tames it.

I have a factory radial that came on my X-Bolt in 6.5 PRC works fine but thought I'd try the Browning recoil Hawg for Browning, Both are easy to install and remove but the Recoil Hawg should be leveled each time I put a index Mark on my barrel and brake with a very fine marker works well. Point of impact with both Is slightly different then with out and recoil is less with them but the Recoil Hawg works much better. I had a custom clamp on made for my Tika 300 WSM buy I guy in Canada that is very similar to the Recoil Hawg and that really tames it.
That's definitely quite the improvement compared to radial brake.

I have a Browning Hell's Canyon LR McMIllan in 6.5Creed. I tossed the factory fake brake and put on a contour matching Vais brake. I selected the Vais brake because it was the least obnoxious looking brake that worked.

My rifle is now at the smith getting a new bbl. The Vais is not going on the new bbl. If your rifle has the same thread (I think its metric) and you would like the Vais brake, you can have it for free.