"Opening" up Hollow Points on Match Bullets for Varmint Hunting

jasonprox700

Hypothetical question:

If a guy had a boat load of match hollow point bullets in .22 & .243, would they be able to drill out or open up the hollow point to allow for faster expansion?

I'm just curious because from time to time, I am able to get my hands on match bullets for dirt cheap. They murder the paper and steel I shoot, but I'd like to be able to use them for varmints and not have to worry about the bullet not expanding. I've seen where people have opened them up and inserted polymer tips (Berger bullets) and they claim they work well. That may be another avenue I could go.

Hypothetical question:

If a guy had a boat load of match hollow point bullets in .22 & .243, would they be able to drill out or open up the hollow point to allow for faster expansion?

I'm just curious because from time to time, I am able to get my hands on match bullets for dirt cheap. They murder the paper and steel I shoot, but I'd like to be able to use them for varmints and not have to worry about the bullet not expanding. I've seen where people have opened them up and inserted polymer tips (Berger bullets) and they claim they work well. That may be another avenue I could go.

For all the pain and suffering I would think that the dog town or the varmint nightmares that are dirt cheap would be a better option. Even if you open up the tip you still have the heavier jacket to deal with not to mention F@CKing up the ballistics of the bullet.

IMHO,

Jon

Hypothetical question:

Rather than drill out the nose of the bullet (Not very precision) Buy a Meplat trimmer and make then
expand more predictably.

This is what some people use on the 300 grain SMKs for hunting and to improve the BC consistancy.

J E CUSTOM

I thought of the meplat trimmer after I posted the question. I think your 100% correct. That is the avenue I should probably go down. I'll probably play around a little bit on ballistic gelatin and phone books, etc and see what I like best. Part of this is just tinkering and for fun.

Why would you ever bother, the hollow points are made to open up as they are. I use the Matchkings, ever see what they do varmints? I shot a crow at 250 yards and cleaned the feathers right off of it!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.