Opening Day Dilemma: .270 or 6.5 Creedmoor

General RE LEE

I have a dilemma and I'm semi OCD. I have two Tikkas. One is a wood stock .270 T3X Forest 22" barrel that shoots Hornady Precision Hunter 145 grain ELD-X MOA at 100 yards. The other is a Tikka T3X synthetic stainless 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" barrel that shoots MOA Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X.

Which one would you grab when heading out the door?

I have a dilemma and I'm semi OCD. I have two Tikkas. One is a wood stock .270 T3X Forest 22" barrel that shoots Hornady Precision Hunter 145 grain ELD-X MOA at 100 yards. The other is a Tikka T3X synthetic stainless 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" barrel that shoots MOA Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X.

Which one would you grab when heading out the door?
you can flip a coin on this one and not be wrong no matter what happens

I'd grab the 270 for hunting and the 6.5 for plinking. I don't think the 143 eldx is well suited to the 6.5 creedmoor velocity. In my experience, detailed in a few other threads, the 6.5 creedmoor is not an emphatic killer. The 270 on the other hand is an emphatic killing cartridge. There is something magical about the 270, that I can't explain but every time I shoot an animal with one they just drop. I have actually shot more deer and antelope with the 6.5 creedmoor but in my experience it is not as effective on game as the 270.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.