Opening Day Deer Rifle in Kentucky

Trogon

Bracken County, which is northern KY. Really quiet day, the only whitetail I saw was at 8 am but a good one for this area. He came trotting thru nose down and with a purpose. I picked the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 9.3x62mm for today, GECO 255 gr soft point (Teilmantel) for load. Single shot in the shoulder broadside and he ran downhill to a creek bottom before dropping. Outside spread was 22". Tomorrow will be a Ruger No. 1 in 6.5x55 for a doe, or even better a coyote. Pretty good day for me. IMG_20211113_115338.jpg20211113_114314.jpg

Thanks, we take most of our deer to the Lennoxsburg General Store on Rt. 10 for processing. Our lease is near there. I've been leasing in KY for 10 years and have enjoyed it over Ohio.
Small world. Brother uses same place to process his beef. It's a packed house on opening day! Lot of nice deer around there and your not the only one comes down from Ohio to enjoy the hunting down here! lol...

A view from my favorite ladder stand. Very hilly (?) clay soil and plenty of limestone. Does like this ridge and hillside and seems to be a good avenue during the 2+ week season for rifle.

Attachments

• 20211113_083801.jpg
    20211113_083801.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 134
Small world. Brother uses same place to process his beef. It's a packed house on opening day! Lot of nice deer around there and your not the only one comes down from Ohio to enjoy the hunting down here! lol...
I was #15 late afternoon Saturday, slow day compared to other years