Opening day Antelope

I love pronghorn, but as mentioned where it has been feeding , was it a clean DRT, how you handle the meat from field ie: cleaning cooling .shot placement aging to table makes a difference in the final product, My favorite recipe is blackened backstrap or tenderloin.As perilously mentioned it is not beef , but I like it .

Had antelope lasagna tonight for dinner with the family, they had no idea until I told them after they cleared their plates. I'm very methodical about field care, and I butcher my own animals, which I feel makes a big difference. In years past I had processors do the butchering, and quality was never as good.

Well I followed this recipe in tonight's cooking of the back strap . Wow ! I think tonight's steak was the best I've ever had .
Excellent! This and the last few posts, is what I was waiting for, amid all the opinions. Side by side, our pronghorn loin (backstrap) is better than our elk. It is all great tasting but the lope is a bit more tender and tasty. As mentioned, diet is everything and ours is near milo and corn. Our butcher also makes it into italian sausage, which is incredible.

It's too bad pronghorn aren't the size of elk. I've never had enough of it to go around for everyone.
It is fabulous. No tricks to prepare steaks. Normal seasonings, maybe bacon wrap, medium rare.
Burger is always blended with pork trimmings to blend ~70-30.
The trick in hotter climates is getting any critter in early fall, cooled and cleaned with water.
We always bring a freezer/generator and get it cooled as we break it down.
Besides the "bag of Fritos" smell I notice when you put one down and taking photos, this is hands down my favorite hunt and table fare, even over elk and deer. It's all in doing the field care and DIY butchering to insure you have your animal. Not someone elses.

I have a bunch of ground Antelope ,how do I prepare it ?
I cut my ground game 75/25ish with either pork roast (for sausages like red chorizo, green chorizo, hot Italian, breakfast, etc.) or Ribeye roast for burger. Adds fat to help bind it together, because making burger patties that don't fall apart on the grill is nearly impossible without cutting it with beef. You could do just suet, but the beef helps add moisture too.

Then, depending on what you are cooking it for, add spice/sauces to taste. We spice it ourselves, no store bought pre-packaged spice kits. But nothing wrong with that.

I have a KILLER Italian meatball recipe and Napolitano recipe for pasta. I am a red sauce guy. My wife and daughter like an Alfredo, and a good Italian seasoned steak (like backstrap or tenderloin) goes great with a white sauce pasta.

I cut my ground game 75/25ish with either pork roast (for sausages like red chorizo, green chorizo, hot Italian, breakfast, etc.) or Ribeye roast for burger. Adds fat to help bind it together, because making burger patties that don't fall apart on the grill is nearly impossible without cutting it with beef. You could do just suet, but the beef helps add moisture too.

Then, depending on what you are cooking it for, add spice/sauces to taste. We spice it ourselves, no store bought pre-packaged spice kits. But nothing wrong with that.

I have a KILLER Italian meatball recipe and Napolitano recipe for pasta. I am a red sauce guy. My wife and daughter like an Alfredo, and a good Italian seasoned steak (like backstrap or tenderloin) goes great with a white sauce pasta.
Awesome recipes....

I have a bunch of ground Antelope ,how do I prepare it ?
This makes killer sloppy Joes 😁
80321.jpeg
80319.jpeg