Open up bolt face?

Jakeweb09

I have a Christensen ridgeline I'm looking to rebarrel, currently in 6.5 creed. Obviously it has a .308 bolt face and I'm curious..can I open it up for mag bolt face so I could rechamber into a 6.5 or 7mm Saum or Sherman short? Has anyone done this and have a smith to recommend? I'm wanting to put a 16.5" proof barrel on there as well. Thoughts? Options? If too difficult or expensive what other options are out there...if none I guess I'll throw a 16.5" creedmore barrel on it

Contact the manufacture.
Action Length, Bolt Face, Extractor, Clip, or Magazine lips and Follower change all figure into a change of a rifle to larger or smaller diameter case cartridge change in the action.

Contact the manufacture.
Action Length, Bolt Face, Extractor, Clip, or Magazine lips and Follower change all figure into a change of a rifle to larger or smaller diameter case cartridge change in the action.

I understand most of that needs to be changed, but action length I'm certain does not.

Call Christensen. I believe their bolts are nitrided- if they are, you ain't opening up that boltface with a hardness in the 80's Rockwell C (at least, I wouldn't try...)

If so, new bolt is most likely required.

No it is not practical to change an actions length. But action length is the first consideration, Is the action long enough to handle the OACL of the cartridge as loaded, Being considered for the build.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.