Open country hunt

Nomad

This coming hunting season plan on hunting some very open country, as well as very steep.
The choices of which rifle to hunt with a 300 win or a 338 win mag both shoot a sub group
The 300 win is shooting a 200gr sierra game king at 3000 to 3040 fps the 338 shoots a
225 accubond at 2740 fps both weigh about the same.
Have the summer to shoot and to practice with on rock chucks at most any distance as
to my choice.....
Your thoughts would be helpful for most of these shots will be past 400 yds on elk.
have shot the 300 win past 1000yds many times yet not sure if it has the needed
energy at longer distances for a one shot kill....
Your thoughts........Thanks

I'm not familiar with the lower limit expansion velocity on the GameKing but assuming it is relatively similar to an AB you're looking at around 900yds with the 300WM. Some may go further but you're risking under-expansion. The 338WM is not the best of the 338s for long range, but I would think you'll get roughly the same range out of it. If you want to get over 1000 yds you'd be better off with a RUM of either caliber, Edge, or similar.

300WM out to 800 yards or so but with the confidence for good shot placement.

Hands down the 300win, the 338win has no advantage over it. The 300 goes faster, longer with more energy and less MOA needed for elevation and wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.