OOTB accurate 300wsm rifle

cohunt

So I'm looking for a 300wsm rifle for CO elk (also mule deer and maybe an Alaska trip a few years from now)

since I hunt elk in CO back country I get into some pretty rugged terrain--light weight is nice but it doesn't have to be the lightest thing available.

Looking for a nice rifle that would be good/very good accuracy...don't need a full custom rifle (thought I would love one some day), of course less $$ is better, so I can spend more on a quality optic--but I'm a realist and I want accuracy so I'm willing to save up if need be.

I reload and plan on trying bullets in the 180-200gr range. muzzle brake is ok but not nec.--I have easy access to a 600 yard practice shooting lane, and maybe out to 1000 within the next year or so for practice.

What are your suggestions for an accurate 300wsm out of the box rifle?? I want to know that I/the shooter and reloader am the limitation and not the rifle.

Thanks for your suggestions

Winchester extreme model 70 300wsm
Haven't seen too many reviews on that one. You have 1?

Real world accuracy would be nice to hear about...most likely I would start with some factory ammo, then move into loading.

I have seen quite a few good reviews of the tilka's...i see more and more cartridge offerings in the superlight also, but still no wsm that I know of.

In fact, if you have a 300wsm ootb rifle that shoots well for you, I would like to hear about your accuracy results and load data if you'd like to share.

I see quite a few offerings in this cartridge, so that is good as it leaves more choices.....but it's bad cause it might be harder to decide.

The nice thing about Tikka, they're all the same action from 243 to 338 win mag. It's a simple job to mod or swap bolt stop to have a wsm setup to run the longest coal possible, can even utilize the long action magnum magazine to get all the way to 3.34 length. Tikka rifles generally have long freebore which will further enhance the velocity given the fact you can now seat the bullet much further out than saami. Most guys in benchrest shoot 300wsm with 230-280 freebore running 215-230 Berger bullets with great results. All doable on the budget tikka action.

I think it would be hard to not look at the Christensen ridgeline if I were you. I have a 300wsm that started as a rem 700, but has morphed into a full custom and love the round for deer/elk.

The options for the WSM's seem to limit your options, but if you look at a more traditional short or long action caliber you open your options quite a bit I think.

I may be thinking out of the box a little but I think an fn patrol rifle would be great. I've owned one in 308 and 300wsm. They are amazingly accurate and can be had for around 800 bucks used. They have a houge overmoulded stock with factory aluminum bedding block. They are a little heavy even with the fluted barrel but I will take a little weight for accuracy.

Isn't the Tikka 30cal a 11" twist?

Steve

Yup, definetly something to note, and possibly a feature if 600yd is your limit!

Possibly a limitation if you consider long, high BC and especially monolithic bullets, which might be interesting for 800yd +

I personally love the idea of a 300WSM on a long action.

Here are some cutaways another member posted a while back;
IMG_7092.PNG

Why not try one of the new Franchi Momentums? No magnums made yet, but they seem well made overall! That way I can tell if they worth spending "my" money on one! lol I've have seen great accuracy from Mod 700s, Browning and Mod 70s...seems the 300WSM is pretty popular her in Utah.

Last edited:
I have seen the price on the kimbers, they are close to the Christiansen arms prices....i also saw browning, Winchester, remington and savages too.
Good to know about the twist rate in tikka's

Last edited:
The Savage 110 Bear Hunter comes in 300 WSM. Barrel is only 23" with the brake. But I don't think that's a hindrance with the 300 WSM. The rifle is stainless, has adjustable stock, and weight is only 7.5 lb. Is only about $875 at Budsgunshop. Think that is a lot of rifle for the money.

I shoot a Savage Model 12 in 300 WSM and I'm very happy with the accuracy. It is easily a 600 yard elk rifle. My biggest issue with them is that they only hold 2 rounds in the mag well.
Here's a Youtube vid of a Guy shooting a 300 WSM Bear Hunter over 1500 yards and doing quite well...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts