OnX questions?

engineer40

I grew up in the country on property. Plus my dad lives across the street from 7,200 acres of Federal land in the Manistee National Forest in Michigan. Since I grew up there, I know that area well. Now a days I'm wanting to explore other parts of my state's public land.

I downloaded OnX yesterday. It seems great!

After my trial period, I'm going to buy the Premium membership. Is the Premium+Chip option only for handheld GPS's, and not for cell phones? I just want to make sure I won't be losing functionality that I'm seeing now during my trial phase with the app.

I understand that I can download maps in areas I plan to visit if I'm uncertain if that area has cell coverage. If I don't have cell service and I download the map, will the GPS function of a modern cell phone be as good as a dedicated handheld GPS? Asked another way, do cell phones use their data coverage for GPS or do they have another built in GPS?

Thanks!

The cell phones have built in gps. It is more accurate with cellular but not required. The files get large make sure you have enough space. I would also download on wifi the chips are for the garmin gps units. Think static upload. The ownership is updated here and there on the inx map.

onx is awesome, make sure you download everything you need before you head into the mountains nothing worse then loosing service and not being to a location you have downloaded

If you buy the chip for your gps, the download for your phone comes with it. I strongly prefer my phone as the colors and detail are better. I carry the gps as a back up but seldom use it. Used on western hunts, i don't lose signal often, but when I do I use my downloaded map sections. Run your phone in airplane mode it will save a lot of battery useage. I also carry a backup battery charger which will charge my phone 3-4 times but seldom need it. Western hunting, I am in and out of the truck enough to throw the charger on it between hunts.

Many factors apply but many of us carry some type on extra power to recharge your phone. I would highly recommend some alternate power source you on going to be away from your regular power source for a few days.

Be Safe,

I have it on my Garmin 650 in a chip and love it. I need to pay up and get it in an app now.

What I like about OnX on my phone is the fact that even if I didn't download the map, I can still use it like a GPS and mark waypoints etc.

OnXhunt is the best app I have downloaded. In Pa it's hard to get land to hunt so I have even used it to ask permission to hunt land. Love it

With out a doubt this app is awesome. Like a few others have said just download the maps for the areas you will be while you have service. I used this last year elk hunting and even with no service it tracked our routes and location spot on with any issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.