OnX questions?

onX is as important as your rifle! I too also contemplated, getting the chip and a gps device, just use it from your phone and website. It's cool when your hunting buddy, can send you his waypoint, to where his kill is at, so you can help him pack it out.

Last edited:
To user's of onX Maps, if you find an issue or something that's missing or just plain bad info on property, send them an exact email description and they'll get on it! Happened to me 2 years ago hunting antelope here in Eastern Colorado.

onX is as important as your rifle! I too also contemplated, getting the chip and a gps device, just use it from your phone and website. It's cool when your hunting buddy, can send you his waypoint, to where his kill is at, so you can help him pack it out.
Is the message sent by text message or through Onx? I reviewed this sharing feature last year but didn't see how it can be done.

You SEND it directly from OnX to one of your contacts.
It is RECEIVED as a text with a link to OnX.
And IIRC, when you send the location, markpoint, line, track, etc. to a contact that does not have OnX, the texted link includes a way to download the free 7 day trial.

Last edited:
You SEND it directly from OnX to one of your contacts.
It is RECEIVED as a text with a link to OnX.
And IIRC, when you send the location, markpoint, line, track, etc. to a contact that does not have OnX, the texted link includes a way to download the free 7 day trial.
Is this new? When was this feature available?

I don't know how long the sharing capability has been in OnX but I used it from the first time I got the app, which was back in the summer of 2019. I tried to attach screenshots of what it looks like in the iPhone's text app when you send a point from OnX, and what it looks like when you receive a point from another user.
You can send points, lines, etc.
IMG_1932.PNG
Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 10.21.09.jpg

Here is an important and very well thought out feature of sharing on OnX.
Users know they can edit their own points and change all kinds of attributes for it. But if somebody shares a point with you, you cannot edit it, and you cannot share it with another user (at least not via OnX, you could always "blab.')
Now if that isn't a feature designed to ease a hunter's concerns, I don't know what is!
From a courtesy standpoint, since you know the person you are sending the point to CAN'T edit it to make it more usable to him, be sure to name it, color it, "icon" it, etc. with whatever you think will be useful to your friend BEFORE you send it.
Cheers,
Rex

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.