OnX on phone

Yes, but you have to download the area that you're going to hunt, if you won't have a cell signal. Your downloaded maps will appear when you hit "off grid". Takes wi-fi connection to download at a reasonable speed. There are 3 levels of resolution to choose from. Be sure to set all the info levels, you want on your "off grid" map, prior to starting the download. Works great.

Dok7mm is absolutley right. There is little need for an expensive gps in my opinion anymore. Just download the area your gonna hunt and use it off grid. The app works very well. I believe you still need to have a gps signal on your phone but if you cant get it on your phone then you probably wouldnt get it on a gps either. I would suggest downloading multiple maps and overlapping them a little bit so you dont lose any area.

I am getting ready for an antelope hunt in eastern WY and was wondering if OnX would work on my I phone 7? Not sure if I will have cell reception there or not and need to see private land and didn't want to invest in a GPS if I can avoid it. If so, would this $29.99 version from Amazon work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X8Z5B4/?tag=lrhmag19-20

OnX is my plan for our next trip to Eastern Wyoming for antelope, we had good cell phone service. You may want to check with the ranch you are hunting and ask them about cell service or contact your service providers map coverage area for sure as we had Verizon.

AT&T does well in NE Wyoming. I use it and carry my GPS as a backup... but prefer the phone app.
The areas I hunt, I get about 80% coverage.
Like said above, download the maps and use them offline. Also, airane mode is your friend. Buy a 30-40$ battery charging pack and you're all set.

Thanks for all the input, very good advice! I am hunting some walk in areas in east central WY and have Verizon cell service. Looks like a lot of it has BLM land around it as well, so don't think it will be that hard to find so at this point going to go with the download and use the extra money towards a Montana Big Red Cow decoy!

Yes, but you have to download the area that you're going to hunt, if you won't have a cell signal. Your downloaded maps will appear when you hit "off grid". Takes wi-fi connection to download at a reasonable speed. There are 3 levels of resolution to choose from. Be sure to set all the info levels, you want on your "off grid" map, prior to starting the download. Works great.
This is what I do.
Cell service here in NW Wyoming is not very good. Even in town it can be pretty poor at times

I believe it's $99/year for premium, which gets you all 50 states. Something they just recently introduced is the ability to see active wildfires displayed on there maps. Very nice to see them overlayed Hunt boundaries!!!

Also with the OnX maps you can mark up maps and the lines or marks will still show up without cell signal when map is in gps only mode. Kind of a quick way to keep you in or out of an area, or keep you pointed in the right direction if downloading the whole map isn't feasible.

On x app helped me out tonight, I came down off the mountain from Turkey hunting after dark and ended up about 10 min up the hill from my atv... just pulled up the app, hit the locate button and I could tell which way on the trail I needed to go to get to the ATV ( as I had left a drop marker where my quad was) -- this area is new to me so my internal bearings lead me a little off trail in the dark....i would have found the atv, but i might have wandered around for 20 minutes without the app

I live in Gillette. Verizon is a lot better around here than At&T. So of town has good cell phone coverage overall. North of town does not. I often go up HWY 59 to Mt. From 10 miles N of town to the border there is little to no cell phone coverage. Just be prepared.
Bruce

I ran both Onx on my phone and carried my garmin with Onx this year. Found myself using the phone more often due to ease of navigation. Never had a problem with either though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.