ontario deer hunt

old243

Our local deer gun hunt is on this week . The weather is very warm for this time of year.But makes hunting and sitting enjoyable.

On the first night, I got to my stand about 3 oclock . I have a food plot, of various clovers. It is being well used. About 4 oclock , a group of turkey's arrived , probably twenty five. They fed for the most of an hour then moved on. A few minutes later a doe and a fawn came out, The doe was very nervous and kept looking back into the bush. Suddenly a nice buck came running out and started chasing her, she would have none of that, and they all disappeared into the bush. A few minutes later they were back , by this time the light was getting low. I have a leopold vx2 3-9 x50 for occasions like this, on top of my 110L savage, that I bought new when I was in high school, probably about 1961. Has seen a bunch of nice bucks since then.

Finally a good broadside shot was available. The buck went a few steps and was down. A nice 8 point . rack was about 18 inches wide , nice and even , with good long tines. I don't know how to score this , but it certainly made me happy.

I do my own reloading, use nosler 100 grain partition bullets, 37.5 gr 4895, work for me. Good luck on the fall hunts. old243

The second week of our Ontario hunt was at our hunt camp in northern Ontario. The weather was very warm the first three days . The deer weren't moving much but the rut was definitely in full swing, judging by the scrapes. thursay and Friday it rained, then got colder on Saturday, with about an inch of snow . This made tracking a lot easier. In the afternoon , my grand daughter, spyed a nice seven point buck. A well placed shot from her left handed savage , in 7mm 08 and nosler partition bullets . brought it down. This was her first deer as she has just got her licence. A very happy girl, also a happy dad and poppa. Nice to get out with family and pass on our heritage to the young ones. old243

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.