Only one bullet?

Probably one of the bonded core bullets in the 180 grain weight range for bullet performance and trajectory, If shooting paper and steel the heavier bullets would be an advantage at longer ranges where terminal performance is not an issue.

I would also shoot the most accurate bullet for ether use (Hunting or target) as long as hunting, a hunting bullet was used for hunting. Bullets with extreme BCs don't necessarily make the best Hunting bullets.

Bullets are made differently for different uses so pick a bullet that is designed for the intended use and you will glad you did.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I really like the 180 grain Accubonds. The bigger heavies from Berger are great for many uses as well, but I've not used them on game (yet) as I haven't quite tweaked a load for them. Lots of folks more experienced than me love them though. I'm getting just over 3k fps with H1000 out of a 26" barrel with the 180 Accubonds, and pretty darned good groups...roughly 1/2 MOA with a dedicated hunting bullet is far exceeding my current needs so I probably won't play too much with anything else out of necessity. I do need to work up a good load for those 181gr Hammer Hunters I have...those become increasingly more important if you're in a lead free location. They're also just fun to look at- sitting still they're one of the fastest looking thing I've ever seen!

...Bullets are made differently for different uses so pick a bullet that is designed for the intended use and you will glad you did.........

....I do need to work up a good load for those 181gr Hammer Hunters I have...those become increasingly more important if you're in a lead free location. They're also just fun to look at- sitting still they're one of the fastest looking thing I've ever seen!

I'd start with 3 questions 1) Twist, 2) Magazine length 3) Intended purpose.

I've used the 200 Accubonds with no complaint. Today I'd go with either the 181 Hammer, or the 199 Sledge Hammer, assuming big game is the desired end.

Most likely the 181 will work with more magazines, and twist.

Probably not the best for true long range work but I shoot a 180 TTSX out of a stock 24" ruger at around 3000 fps. My rifle chose the TTSX, not me, but I am glad I listened to the rifle.

Not much I wouldn't shoot with that in North America within reason. Performance has been good so far on deer, elk, coyotes and bear from 50 yards to over 460 yards.

Last edited:
Probably not the best for true long range work but I shoot a 180 TTSX out of a stock 24" ruger at around 3000 fps. My rifle chose the TTSX, not me but I am glad I listened to the rifle.

Not much I wouldn't shoot with that in North America within reason. Performance has been good so far on deer, elk, coyotes and bear from 50 yards to over 460 yards.

2nd on this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.