One rifle to do it all?

I'm having another kid this year and I've sold a bunch of my rifles which has got me thinking of continuing to sell others to simplify my life. I like the idea of having one rifle to do everything. I think it will be a switch barrel rig, but maybe not. If you could build the ultimate do everything long range hunting rifle what caliber and components would you choose? I don't plan to ever hunt brown bear or African dangerous game so I don't think I'll ever need anything larger than .30 caliber. I do enjoy shooting steel at long distances and hunting everything from prairie dogs to hopefully mooose some day. What would you choose?
Curtis Axiom or Defiance Deviant action, BDL-style floor plate bottom metal, Manners MCS-T4A stock, Proof Research 7mm 1:8 twist barrel 26-28" (threaded 5/8x24 for a suppressor or brake), chambered for 7mm RemMag, pushing Berger 195 Elite Hunters in Nosler brass. Powder would be IMR 7977 or slower, and Primers would be Federal 215M, EGW HD 20MOA base, Seekins Precision 30mm low rings, Tangent Theta TT525P 5-25x56 1/10 MIL adjustment GenII XR reticle.

I'll never have the money to build something like this (just the glass is over $4,500), but this would be my ideal hunting/target rifle build, if I ever win the lottery...

Okay, I thought you wanted all the details. As for a do it all cartridge. I think I would choose one of the 6.5 or 7mm offerings. I personally own a couple 6.5s and enjoy both. I have a Creedmoor and a 6.5x284. I wouldn't mind shooting either at prairie dogs all the way up to elk. I also love my 280 Ackley as it works across all game without being super overkill like my 28 Nosler would be for prairie dogs. I think there will be many opinions you'll receive but if I trying to make just one cartridge work across the board I would go 280 Ackley. Good luck and a prairie dog with a 338 Lapua...you're truly a gangsta. Lol

I really like the 6.5mm's I have been wanting a 6.5-284 for a years, but I've never had one. I have a 6.5x47 lapua and have had a few different 6.5 creedmoors and I liked them all. And then there is the 6.5 gap 4s that is supposed to have almost magical qualities with better velocity and longer barrel life than the 6.5-284. I really think a 6.5 would be a better "do all" caliber than most. But those heavy 7mm bullets have awesome BC's. I have never had a 28 Nosler and it looks like a great option other than recoil and brass availability.

Prairie dogs to moose would be best with two rifles.
I would recommend a 6mm with a fast twist barrel. shooting high bc 115 grain bullets would be great for long range varmints and steel.
For everything else a hot rod 7mm is perfect, high bc 180 or 195 grain bullets are incredible at long range.
I would look into a 28 nosler, 7wsm, or 280ai.
I like your logic, just having one or two rifles will give you the opportunity to dial them in and get really proficient.

I think you are right, two rifles would be better and more able to cover the spectrum and do their respective jobs better with less over-kill or "under-kill". I like your picks, with a 6mm and 7mm or maybe a hotrod 22creedmoor and a 300 Win mag that would cover pretty much everything...

I really like the 6.5mm's I have been wanting a 6.5-284 for a years, but I've never had one. I have a 6.5x47 lapua and have had a few different 6.5 creedmoors and I liked them all. And then there is the 6.5 gap 4s that is supposed to have almost magical qualities with better velocity and longer barrel life than the 6.5-284. I really think a 6.5 would be a better "do all" caliber than most. But those heavy 7mm bullets have awesome BC's. I have never had a 28 Nosler and it looks like a great option other than recoil and brass availability.

I love the 28 Nosler and the recoil is very manageable. My rifle weighs 10 pounds with a bipod and scope. My rifle does have a brake, with it on my 140 pound wife and sister shoot it all the time and never complain about recoil. So don't stress the recoil on the 28 Nosler its really isn't that bad.
I think I would go the two rifle setup. I would do a 6mm caliber for p-dogs, coyote and any smaller game. I would build it a bit heavier (12 pounds or so) and spend less money as the little calibers typically shoot with less expensive components. My second rifle I would do a 28 Nosler with the 195 Berger. I would do a swap barrel action like a Big Horn action with a Wyatts extended box. I would do a proof research barrel at 26 inches and put it in a Manners EH-1. Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you decide.

I think you are looking for that ever elusive Unicorn Such a rifle doesn't exist!
Coyotes and other varmints with a .300 Win Mag..Or a big bear with a 22-250?
Wide open spaces or a tight brush filled draw?
Hiking all day vs. sitting in a blind?

Last edited:
I would have to throw .284 Winchester in the mix. With good hand loads it will do almost everything a 7 Rem Mag will do.

I think you are looking for that ever elusive Unicorn Such a rifle doesn't exist!
Coyotes and other varmints with a .300 Win Mag..Or a big bear with a 22-250?
Wide open spaces or a tight brush filled draw?
Hiking all day vs. sitting in a blind?

This isn't what you want to hear but probably the most honest answer here.

These are the things that I have struggled with? I too am looking for that same rifle that the OP is looking for.And 64 years and a lot of money later I still haven't found it?
It's sure been fun looking and I've enjoyed the Grail hunt!

You mentioned Prarie dogs to moose and you also mentioned the possibility of a switch barrel. Since your budget is fairly high I'd go this route.

I'd go with a standard action in 240 WBY or 6mm-06 ai and 280ai or 30-06ai for the high end. You will have a screamer that's capable of taking deer on the low end and a rifle suitable for moose on the high end with 1000 steel capabilities from both.

I've heard some complain about the 240 being finicky. I found mine to be a pleasure to tune running boolets from 90-115 grains. I was getting. 5moa to 600 yards with all of them and 3100 fps from the 115 Berger.

On second thought, I've never been a ONE gun kind of guy and can't even think of it.

I'd build a good ole tried and true 7RM or 300WM with my preference being the 7.

Then I'd then build something small between a 223 and 6mm. I currently have a 22-250ai running 80 grain eld's at 3120 from a suppressed 22 inch barrel. Love that rifle from small critters to small deer and hogs.

I don't currently own a magnum but the 300 Norma Mag is high on my list for a few reasons-It will get a 220 grainer to 3K, long brass life and the brass is made by Lapua.

Last edited:
On second thought, I've never been a ONE gun kind of guy and can't even think of it.

I'd build a good ole tried and true 7RM or 300WM with my preference being the 7.

Then I'd then build something small between a 223 and 6mm. I currently have a 22-250ai running 80 grain eld's at 3120 from a suppressed 22 inch barrel. Love that rifle from small critters to small deer dogs.

I don't currently own a magnum but the 300 Norma Mag is high on my list for a few reasons-It will get a 220 grainer to 3K, long brass life and the brass is made by Lapua.

You should try RL 26 in your 22-250 AI, I just sold mine it was a 1-8" 21" suppressor ready barrel and with win brass 45gr rl26 Cci 200 primer and no pressure signs I was getting 3280fps with the 80gr eldm!

Please tell me you shoot prairie dogs with a 300 win! That would be epic! 110 grain v max out of a 300 win would be a sight to see. The OP lists prairie dog to moose.

No Sir, not yet anyways ... but will be trying it this year. There is no such rule in any book especially mine (yes it is not ideal but it's a personal choice) that one must use a certain caliber or chambering to shoot/hunt prairie dog to moose. I tend to lean on the heavy side myself.

Here's one of my gunsmiths, Joe Starnes video with Jeff (BROZ) spotting and calling the play on a gopher and .300 grainer at 1000 yards. :D

Last edited:
+1 for Red Breast Irish Whiskey.

You should try RL 26 in your 22-250 AI, I just sold mine it was a 1-8" 21" suppressor ready barrel and with win brass 45gr rl26 Cci 200 primer and no pressure signs I was getting 3280fps with the 80gr eldm!

Yeah, I've thought of that but in Texas we shoot at such extreme temperature ranges sometimes in the same day. I've shied away from RL and have typically used Hodgedon extreme powders for this reason.

I built this rifle with the goal of 3100 from a 22 inch barrel so I'm pretty happy with it and H414.

I've heard of a couple of others getting similar from their AI's so I know that the speed is certainly there if I wanted it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.