One Redding Type-S bushing die for 264 and 7mm mag?

entoptics

Wondering I can full length resize both 7mm Rem Mag and 264 Win Mag with the same die (either one), just by changing out the neck bushing.

Looking at the SAAMI diagram, the shoulder starts at the same 2.040, with same 25° angle. The only difference I see is 2.2459" neck/shoulder junction on 264WM vs 2.2288 neck/shoulder on 7mm Mag.

I have RCBS FL dies for both, but they squeeze the neck down considerably more than necessary, particularly since I open them back up with a mandrel prior to seating the bullets anyway.

What say ye?

You may have to try it and see how it goes. One drawback that I see would be to have to adjust the die each time you change cartridges to get the proper shoulder bump ( unless your lucky).

You may have to try it and see how it goes. One drawback that I see would be to have to adjust the die each time you change cartridges to get the proper shoulder bump ( unless your lucky).
Just did a quick check, and the headspace is within caliper error for both. They are X-Caliber prefits on Savages, and I set the headspace myself with the same go-gauge and painters tape, and apparently got it pretty dang close between them.

Not sure, but may be possible with the 7mm die. I am uncertain if the 264 die would have enough clearance between the neck shoulder junction and the bushing for the larger neck of the 7mm. Should be easy enough to find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.