One powder to rule them all (30-06)?

For my 30-06, using 165-168 gr. bullets, I've only used H4350, most consistency in accuracy and velocity of any powder I've tried. It just works well in my rifle.

57 grns IMR 4350 with a 165 grn bullet puts vel at 2800 fps has been my go to load for all my 30/06 rifles, for some reason the 2 pre 64 win I have will shoot with real good accuracy any bullet from 125 to 180 over 180 not so good. You have a classic and of all my rifles my pre 64,s are my favorites there is a reason they call it the rifleman rifle. Hope you enjoy it.

The traditional powder for the 30/06 has always been H 4895 or its DuPont brother. It is still one of the best all round powders and hard to beat even with all of the New available powders it has always been a performer in the 308 as well.

There is plenty of load data in loading manuals and on loading websites.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".

Ramshot TAC , I love it and it gives my Winnie m70 featherweight the juice it needs, loves 165 Sierra pro Hunter pills or 180 round nose

4831. Fill the case and knock the extra out of the neck, seat the bullet and shoot.
That's what I use in many loads. H4831 is a stable, slow, consistant powder. In my 6-284 I can fill the case to the top, compress the load while Seating the bullet, and have at. Cant overload, no pressure signs and always flys true. Theosmithjr

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".
I have worked up loads for all my mid caliber rifles with IMR 4831. The 06 I load for is a Rem 700 ADL. I have loads for 150 and 162gr Açcubonds and 150gr Ballistic tips that drive tacks.
I tried IMR 4350 but couldn't find a load that would shoot with the 4831. Nearly every rifle is a little different, so play with it.
Even if it is just a hunting rifle, take the time to work and tune a load up. The confidence of knowing exactly where the weapon shoots will greatly improved your success. Mental security - know second guessing a missed shot.
I appreciate you and your family for passing down a true classic like a pre-64. I have a pre-64 featherweight in 270 that has the original scope and flat leather sling that has come down from my grandfather. I shot my first 10pt Texas whitetail with it.
Keep passing on the memories.

57 grns IMR 4350 with a 165 grn bullet puts vel at 2800 fps has been my go to load for all my 30/06 rifles, for some reason the 2 pre 64 win I have will shoot with real good accuracy any bullet from 125 to 180 over 180 not so good. You have a classic and of all my rifles my pre 64,s are my favorites there is a reason they call it the rifleman rifle. Hope you enjoy it.

This load works very well in my M70 as well with 165gr Gamechangers and 168gr Tipped Matchkings.

Coming from the wrong side of the pond Vit 150 coupled with a Rem 91/2 and a 185 Berger classic hunter works well in my 30.06

We have an old Enfield 1917 that shoots so good it is scary. We use 4831 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions, 59 grains. It is a very hot load, but the dead elk in the photo was taken by that gun (also in the photo) were that combination. We also have some great 165 gr bullet loads, but I will have to look them up later.

Been reloading 30 cal launchers for over 45 yrs. 3006 in last 5 platforms performed best with Accurate 4350. I noticed no one mentioned that powder. That being said, all mine shot sub moa (all hunter rifle configuration), 168-180 with same powder charge of 57gr with any one of the 4350 powders. Cant go wrong with 4831 in heavy bullets....
Nothing works like trying a couple of these suggestions and let us know what u settled on......

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.