One powder for both .308 and .300 Win Mag

HockeyDad

If you had to choose one powder to cover reloading for both .308 and .300 Win Mag, what would it be? Or, does anything exist that could cover both cartridges? edited to add: The reason I'm asking is because I have long had a .308 and really like Varget, but I just got a .300 Win Mag (Yay Santa Claus) and with the current situation with reloading supplies, I wonder if there is one powder that could cover both.

Last edited:
not and be anywhere optimum for both... you can run h414/ ww760 in either, but it's very slow for the 308 and you will need to run heavier pills just to get near pressure; you will need to run lighter pills in the 300win and will not have great case fill... the Hodgdon site has loads if you are interested...
Lefty's first sentence covers it. You will not achieve optimum performance from one, the other or both.
Congrats on your new firestick!

As others said, there's really not one powder that will work in both of them effectively.

There are some powders that you could use in both but as previously stated none that would be optimized for both I would think your could get away with H4831, Imr4895, or H4895, Varget, H4350 or IMR4350 might all do what you want you very well may need to match your bullet weights for each caliber to the powder you choose.

Reloader 17 will work if you want to run the lighter weights or monos in your 300 winmag. Smoking velocities with them, but you need to consider temp sensitivity as well.

I try to use different powders in my rifles then if I can't find one I just shoot a different rifle lol just saying

Reloader 17 will work if you want to run the lighter weights or monos in your 300 winmag. Smoking velocities with them, but you need to consider temp sensitivity as well.
I live and hunt in Montana and use RL-17 on my .300 WSM with 215 Bergers without any temp sensitivity issues. Having said that, I do not hunt or load develop when it is above 70 degrees.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.