One piece rail or two piece

DEATHGRIP

Guys
I have a Weatherby MKV in 30-378. I put a Nightforce ATACR on it with a Talley one piece 20 moa rail and Talley rings. The whole set up is WAY to high. I just bought a set of Nightforce medium rings and put them on the Warne two piece pic bases that came with the rifle and got it down where it should be. I can now get a good cheek weld. My question is. Is the two piece ok for a big bore like this or do i need to stay with a one piece rail? I use Talley rings on all of my guns but they do not make a 34mm one piece ring/base set for this gun.
Thoughts?

Assuming there are decent quality bases, I have no beef with them. Years ago when u was still in Idaho, we developed a few loads for a kid who bought that rifle; but was a putz for loading. I think in the end we short about a box of his bullets, all in the name of load development of course.... That rifle was a two piece and never saw an issue with it.

I have not seen any issues between using 1 vs 2 piece bases with heavy scope/heavy recoil rifles but I have seen problems with other shooters that were caused by poor mounting practices. I pay extra attention to the mounting system because of the increased inertia that places stress on the mounting system. Fitment, epoxy bedding of bases, torque of the screws, etc......with either design. A good muzzle break is probably the best practice. Nightforce chose to design their 1 piece pic rail with a recoil lug that gives extra support against the receiver which makes me think they may have seen some effects, particularly with the weight of their scopes.

morning, warne steel bases r one of the best. i use warne steel rings on everything they fit on. i have never had a problem. locktite red torque to proper setting and shoot. the locktite red is the one to use. blue u might have to use heat to break the mounting screws loose. like the gentleman said, invest in a good muzzlebrake. i use vais muzzlebrakes. my personal favorite is 2 piece mounts. I shoot a 340W with muzzlebrake. No problem

T U M
just country.lightbulb

Last edited:
morning, warne steel bases r one of the best. i use warne steel rings on everything they fit on. i have never had a problem. locktite red torque to proper setting and shoot. the locktite red is the one to use. blue u might have to use heat to break the mounting screws loose. like the gentleman said, invest in a good muzzlebrake. i use vais muzzlebrakes. my personal favorite is 2 piece mounts. I shoot a 340W with muzzlebrake. No problem

T U M
just country.lightbulb

Good post. I'm pretty sure you reversed the Loctite choice. The red Loctite is the one that requires the heat for removal. The blue is the best choice for the mounts.

Thanks guys. It has a break on it, looks to be a factory Weatherby. The guns recoil is not to bad its just the weight of the scope that i was concerned with. Im going to put it together and put some rounds through it just to see. I ordered a Nightforce 20 MOA rail with hopes that it sets lower than the Talley. Unfortunately its back ordered forever. I will report what i find out.
Thanks again
Dave

Talley makes Weatherby's rings and bases.

If you no longer want the Talley stuff, PM me with some details of how much you are looking for.

I have split bases, solid bases and picatiny rails on my Weatherby's and some other big cartridge rifles.

I've never encountered any issues that couldn't be quickly traced to loose screws. Proper torque fixes that. LOL, if you forget to torque it, it won't stay put.

While the "over" engineering aspect of one piece bases or rails appeals to me, in reality the shear strength of mounting screws is probably not that high.

Talley makes Weatherby's rings and bases.

If you no longer want the Talley stuff, PM me with some details of how much you are looking for.

I have split bases, solid bases and picatiny rails on my Weatherby's and some other big cartridge rifles.

I've never encountered any issues that couldn't be quickly traced to loose screws. Proper torque fixes that. LOL, if you forget to torque it, it won't stay put.

While the "over" engineering aspect of one piece bases or rails appeals to me, in reality the shear strength of mounting screws is probably not that high.

I torque everything and blue glue all my guns:) I was just getting multiple feedback from most guys saying with that heavy of a scope and the recoil would need to be on a one piece rail. I am a huge Talley MFG fan. I just did not like how high the scope sat up. I have the factory BC stock on it that i have bedded and there is no way to put a cheek piece on it. I have to get it down to get a good cheek weld. Do you know of anyone that makes a a low 20 MOA rail?

As someone who encountered a lot of trouble using Blue Loctite on scope bases...I now use and recommend PURPLE Loctite...designed for fasteners from #2 through 1/4"...such as the small screws used on scope bases....a perfectly good model 70 was ruined by an incompetent gunsmith when Blue Loctite caused the screws to strip (he drilled all the way through the barrel tennon while removing the screws)...using Purple 222, the screws can be loosened with just tools without the worry of stripping anything.

Loctite 222 Threadlocker Purple

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts