one peice or 2 peice base for rem. 788

marlow 243

I have a old rem. model 788 that had a 1 peice wever base that has been bent bad. Idont know how it may be a aluminum thing . does anybody know were i can get some mid grade steel ones ? appr. any help marlow

I've used an aluminum base on a few 788's. They're plenty sturdy and it wouldn't be easy to bend one. I don't recall ever seeing any type of steel Weaver-style base for a 788. One of mine has a Browning steel base with conventional rings. Today, steel 788 bases aren't so easy to find unless you happen onto one. A 788 action being round the whole length, you might could improvise if you're determined to have steel. Maybe look into using 2 steel Weaver-style front bases for a 700, also what goes on the new Savage with a round bridge. Sharp Shooters Supply sells a really nice one-piece Savage base using Weaver style rings, and they might have it for the new action. Improvising would likely mean a couple new mount holes, which isn't a big deal.

Thanks for the imfo. Idont know howe it got bent I have the burris zee rings on the one peice mount maybe I over tightend them thanks Marlow

Well you did luck out. Brownells shows the Redfield Jr one peice base as part numbers #750-511-159PB (jr-788LA) for .222mag,.22-250,.30-30. and #750-511-161 PB (JR-788XL)for .243,.308,.358. Catalog #57. Contact phone number is 1-800-741-0015. Theses numbers are for the 788REM of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.