One new rifle or two?

Prc is ok. Even good. Not as good as 300 wm. Especially if he is ok with a good break. Pick a good factory round until you do reload. Lost of help here for that.
I actually prefer the 300 win mag too. Just for factory ammo, the 300 prc is slightly more geared towards the long range shooter/hunter. If reloading I would of recommended the win mag. Unfortunately I don't still have my win mag but I do have 1000 pieces of brass lol, so a win mag will be in the near future.

I would suggest going with a switch barrel set up. You have one stock, trigger, scope to deal with and all you have to change is your barrel, bolt, and magazine. An action like a Zeus from Terminous actions would be a great place to start. Or you could use any of the 700 clones with a WTO Switchlug.

You are not wrong...plus the can or brake...I have the surgeries...on both shoulders...sucks to get older!
Well, I mowed my fake grass and finished faster than I could read Coyote Tracker's post. My shoulders and neck are okay, but both knees and both feet are pretty much shot. I am older and uglier than skipglo and I carry a 12-pound 340 Weatherby. Not too far, but far enough to think you could handle a 10-pound rifle/scope combo. But, but, my real suggestion is to buy another rifle or two. You'll think of something to hunt with them. It takes a long time to get as old as skipglo.

Yeah, I've had 3 labrum repairs (9 anchors in my right and 5 anchors in my left) from rock climbing. Shotguns I could do after 6-7 months. But my .308 lit me up even 2 years post surgery. I didn't try again for about 3 years, and 6.5 is of course fine. I shot a 7WSM, .28 Nosler and .30 Nosler (pretty sure the noslers had brakes), and they were all fine. Wasn't a problem to sit down and plink metal. The .300 wby was okay, but nothing I'd want to sit down and shoot a box at the range. I don't think I'd care on game, but if I can find a reputable gunsmith I'll add a brake to that mark V.

If you have a quality muzzle brake installed, it will make a massive difference on weight / horsepower / and shootability Pick the right components and you can get close to best of both worlds

Both my shoulders are done and fixed Been down that road. Lol

Well, I mowed my fake grass and finished faster than I could read Coyote Tracker's post. My shoulders and neck are okay, but both knees and both feet are pretty much shot. I am older and uglier than skipglo and I carry a 12-pound 340 Weatherby. Not too far, but far enough to think you could handle a 10-pound rifle/scope combo. But, but, my real suggestion is to buy another rifle or two. You'll think of something to hunt with them. It takes a long time to get as old as skipglo.
Sorry to hear about your knees. I too have knee replacements and my size 14 feet can't keep toe nails. I'll say some prayers for easier walking and less pain.
Man you must have a lot of fake grass to mow. Must be something new if you have to mow.
Sorry if I put too much into my reply post to "Lightnin08" Maybe you should take The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading Course.
to keep up with posts on this forum.

I have a need for a new rifle and I'd like help determining if one rifle would fit my needs or two? I know I need a light weight rifle to take on mountain hunts. I also would like an additional rifle to bring to the range with one mile being my max range. Can this be the same rifle or better to get two?

Here's my situation and uses.

I currently have a Bergara HMR pro in 6.5 creedmoor that I love. I live in the South and have access to shoot 500 yards at home or up to a mile within a 3 hour drive. So I don't really have any business trying to spec out a rifle for more than a mile.

The HMR is a little heavy for a hunting rifle to carry and hike with, but works fine for deer hunting from a stand or short walks. I enjoy shooting metal targets with it, but can see how having a second range rifle would be fun. Maybe something higher powered or just different to focus more on the 800-1800 yard distances?

I have a hunt lined up next year for moose in Alaska. The guide is telling me to be ready for 300-500 yard shots. Thinking .30 cal and up? We'll be hunting from a Sherp but with some hiking up ridges being possible. I only plan on moose hunting once, so maybe I can get away with a heavier rifle for one hunt? Elk is a more normal game target for me, and that requires quite a bit more hiking and I'd want something light.

I'm younger, but I've had 3 shoulder surgeries, so unfortunately recoil does matter. For reference, I have a .300 Weatherby mag that doesn't have a muzzle break that I've shot elk with, but don't enjoy it for target practice. Will a lightweight rifle in .30 cal or bigger be fun to shoot at the range? Or will it be necessary to have a large caliber for hunting moose, but too much recoil in a light weight rifle to enjoy target shooting up to a mile as well?

Currently I'm considering the .300 PRC, .300 WSM, .30 Nosler, .300 WM, or .33 Nosler. Or maybe something 7mm or .28 Nosler if it's meant for target or game (elk and smaller). I'm newer to this, so I appreciate any advice the community has! If you have specific recommendations, please give them. Sorry for the long post, just trying to be thorough.
28 Nosler or 6.5 PRC, I have both and there both great

Sorry to hear about your knees. I too have knee replacements and my size 14 feet can't keep toe nails. I'll say some prayers for easier walking and less pain.
Man you must have a lot of fake grass to mow. Must be something new if you have to mow.
Sorry if I put too much into my reply post to "Lightnin08" Maybe you should take The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading Course.
to keep up with posts on this forum.
I took that course. Still can mow my fake grass faster than I can read your posts. You have to know I'm kidding. I don't really mow my fake grass. I just enjoy it, kinda like your posts, you long-winded blow-hard. What else do I have to do?

Your feet are REALLY long! I only wear a size 12, but I have worn size 12 since I was 12 years old. My nickname was Grace, of which I had none. You and Jill have a nice time together and I am going to go trim my fake shrubs!

I took that course. Still can mow my fake grass faster than I can read your posts. You have to know I'm kidding. I don't really mow my fake grass. I just enjoy it, kinda like your posts, you long-winded blow-hard. What else do I have to do?

Your feet are REALLY long! I only wear a size 12, but I have worn size 12 since I was 12 years old. My nickname was Grace, of which I had none. You and Jill have a nice time together and I am going to go trim my fake shrubs!
Brother I am with you all the way. One thing I like is that most of us are all like minded and can joke around with each other. When I was a kid my parents would buy shoes and i would wear the boxes.
God Bless you and your family and can only hope that we all can overcome our older bodies and keep hunting. fishing and shooting!

If you really are coming to Alaska get some better info from a real guide!! No Alaska guide would give you 300 to 500 yd info. 100 yd shots are the norm here in our state, it's called a stalk. As for gun's if you are a good shot a 270 will bring down a Moose all day long. Big gun's and big bullets are great if you can handle them. Bring something that doesn't hurt you and enjoy a hunt in our wonderful state.

A new rifle is always a great way to go if you can. That being said....no question I would not shoot anything under .284 in a "magnum" cartridge with a heavy for caliber "Premium Hunting" not a re-labeled target bullet.

I have a need for a new rifle and I'd like help determining if one rifle would fit my needs or two? I know I need a light weight rifle to take on mountain hunts. I also would like an additional rifle to bring to the range with one mile being my max range. Can this be the same rifle or better to get two?

Here's my situation and uses.

I currently have a Bergara HMR pro in 6.5 creedmoor that I love. I live in the South and have access to shoot 500 yards at home or up to a mile within a 3 hour drive. So I don't really have any business trying to spec out a rifle for more than a mile.

The HMR is a little heavy for a hunting rifle to carry and hike with, but works fine for deer hunting from a stand or short walks. I enjoy shooting metal targets with it, but can see how having a second range rifle would be fun. Maybe something higher powered or just different to focus more on the 800-1800 yard distances?

I have a hunt lined up next year for moose in Alaska. The guide is telling me to be ready for 300-500 yard shots. Thinking .30 cal and up? We'll be hunting from a Sherp but with some hiking up ridges being possible. I only plan on moose hunting once, so maybe I can get away with a heavier rifle for one hunt? Elk is a more normal game target for me, and that requires quite a bit more hiking and I'd want something light.

I'm younger, but I've had 3 shoulder surgeries, so unfortunately recoil does matter. For reference, I have a .300 Weatherby mag that doesn't have a muzzle break that I've shot elk with, but don't enjoy it for target practice. Will a lightweight rifle in .30 cal or bigger be fun to shoot at the range? Or will it be necessary to have a large caliber for hunting moose, but too much recoil in a light weight rifle to enjoy target shooting up to a mile as well?

Currently I'm considering the .300 PRC, .300 WSM, .30 Nosler, .300 WM, or .33 Nosler. Or maybe something 7mm or .28 Nosler if it's meant for target or game (elk and smaller). I'm newer to this, so I appreciate any advice the community has! If you have specific recommendations, please give them. Sorry for the long post, just trying to be thorough.
338 RUM... one and done

It is a Mark V, but the end of the barrel doesn't have threading to put on a muzzle break. Is that something I can take to a gunsmith and they can add?
Yes. A gunsmith can either thread your barrel for a brake or drill in a radial brake. Or you can buy a Witts brake.