One More for the Gipper!

Wild Monkey

What's the best Cartridge for the 7mm 162 ELD. Please List Performance Specs, off the Shelf or Slip on's only with available Brass & Dies. Barrel Lengths & favorite Powders. & most importantly Range.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "best" cartridge. There's many good options though depending on your goals with the said bullet and cartridge. Personally, the 7mm Rem Mag would be one of my top options. It can push this bullet 3000-3100+ with the right powder in a 26"+ barrel. Other great options would be 7mm SAUM, 284 Winchester, 280 Ackley, 7mm WSM. There's many good options.

MMc has established 3k as a minimum. I'll go along with that. 7mm Rem Mag is capable, yet somewhat overbore.
With the powders available to us today, the term overbore is no longer true.
There are powders now that will not fit into the case and will never get to max pressure.
Overbore was coined because you couldn't cram enough powder in and gain velocity….doesn't happen.
I agree with Jud96, 7RM is not overbore in anyway.
If you want efficiency over power, then you have asked the wrong question.

Cheers.

Best is such a subjective term. It all depends on your target velocities. I used to run a 162 eld at 3145 fps in my last 7mm RM barrel. Currently running a 180 eld at 3043 fps.

With the powders available to us today, the term overbore is no longer true.
There are powders now that will not fit into the case and will never get to max pressure.
Overbore was coined because you couldn't cram enough powder in and gain velocity….doesn't happen.
I agree with Jud96, 7RM is not overbore in anyway.
If you want efficiency over power, then you have asked the wrong question.

Cheers.
I thought overbore referred to case capacity divided by surface area of the bore and 30-06 being arbitrarily chosen as the dividing line between underbore and overbore.

I thought overbore referred to case capacity divided by surface area of the bore and 30-06 being arbitrarily chosen as the dividing line between underbore and overbore.
Afraid not.
It was coined by some gun rag writer and stuck. It has never been used to describe cartridges by a ballistic expert..
Expansion ratio is the official ballistic description of case capacity to bore size.

Cheers.

Thanks for the input everyone. However I was hoping for more hard data. I'm thinking maybe something more efficient than the 7mm RM. Probably the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Super comes the closest. the same performance as the 7RM with 10 grains less powder with this wildcat.
7mm-FMD.gif