One Happy customer!!

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
I fianally have my custom 300 RUM complete! I have also had a chance to shoot it some.

The rifle was built by Homer Strickland of Accuracy Arms in Anchorage as money permited.

After a brief break in period and a cleaning, the rifle's very first group measured .232"! The second group was .234"!! These were during load development and were of differant charge weights. So far I have 13 targets of 3 shot groups of various loads, different bullets, and charges shot over the course of 3 differant days. The average group size so far for the development is 0.5965"!! These are even unfire-formed cases. I am super extatic to say the least. There has been only one group to hit the 1" mark.

The only thing I am slightly dissapointed about is I seem to only get 3230 FPS safley from a 178 AMAX. Can anyone offer any insight?? Powder used so far has been RETUMBO and H-50 BMG. 102.0 H-50 BMG offers 3230 FPS and I am not comfortable going any hotter. 95.0 of RETUMBO sticks the cases at 3400 FPS.

The rifle was built on the Rem 700 ss action with a Lilja 27.25" #7 straight taper 12 twist, McMillan HTG stock in forest cammo, steel bedded with a custom desighned brake (kicks 1/2 as much as my 308!
smile.gif
.)

[ 07-12-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]

I have a 300 RUM with a Kreiger 1-13" twist, 27.875" barrel and have used RL22 to get 3350fps with 178-180gr bullets. This rifle seems to lean towards the slightly faster powders to get its best accuracy. Best load is H4831SC w/190 SMK at 3100fps, load is mild. 3 shot groups, .5moa to 1000yds, 3/8 at 100.
Wayne

Congrats on your new rifle. with the shorter pipe, you are not going to realize the full potential of that large case.

Also, vel is not important relative to accuracy. You are definitely going fast enough.

You might want to look at heavier bullets if going LR shooting. The 178Amax is a wonderful bullet, but any 'low' BC bullet will not be as effective at LR as a high BC bullet going slower.

Nice shootin
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts