ONE GUN

texas

If you could only have one rifle for hunting (p-dogs to bear) and competion which one and what caliber? Be it your dream gun or one you already have. Oh and it can't be a switch barrel either... one barrel one caliber. Have you ever thought about this?

On the guns would like to know what made you choose it and the caliber. To make it a little more difficult it can weight more than 20# (LG to be able to be carried in the field for hunting)

You never know when you might have to make that choice might as well think about it now. If you wind up building it don't blame me
grin.gif
, just something I thought about while watching some TV.

It would have to be a 30 caliber. You can shoot anything from prarie dogs to bear with a 300 ultra, I have this, but I would have it in a sendero, which i dont have. Then you can pump up some 110grain going 4000+ for the prarie dogs, and 220 partition going 3000, and the 240 matchking with unbeliveable BC. This should cover everything more or less, hope you just have the $$$ to buy the ammo.
grin.gif

[ 03-31-2003: Message edited by: smoak ]

I just went through this process again, and I think about everybody does from time to time. I do not, however, have just one gun and I think there is no "perfect" choice for just one gun.

That said, I chose the .338 Win. Mag. The main reason is that I may be required to shoot across a clearcut for moose, maybe three- or four-hundred yards. I also hunt black bear and want to be able to take an opportunity for elk or big bears if I get a chance.

I also hunt deer in tight brush, and the .338 is not the best choice, but it works. I always take along a Marlin lever-action 30/30, but it always stays on the rack at camp, because I worry about getting a long shot at a trophy and being under-gunned.

A .338 bullet is pretty expensive for prairie dogs, but if you use it for that the little buggers will find themselves sitting around the card table in prairie dog heaven not knowing how they got there.

Your bullet choices range from 160 gr. to 300 gr., with speeds available around the 3,000 fps mark for even the heaviest.

Hard-hitting, flat-shooting, accurate, easy to find ammunition, enough gun for anything in North America.

The only drawback I hear people talk about is recoil. For me, it's not an issue. I can easily shoot 40 rounds in a session without punishing my shoulder. I don't know if it's me, the gun or the pad or the load. In fairness, I let a friend shoot it once, and he doesn't care to again.

I shoot a Browning A-bolt Stalker II with a Pachmyer recoil pad, usually 250 gr. Sierras with 65 gr. of IMR 4350. 65 grains is low, but it's what my gun likes on the target range.

I think that you guys are missing the boat..
I guess I need specification on what type of bear..also what type of ranges...

If you are talking typical ranges 100-500 yards... you don't need super horsepower cartridges...
If you gonna hunt all things including Pd's
you can't spend a fortune reloading... 338's 300 RUM's $$$$

what about the .308....?????

Well I have also thought of this many times a year.. I can honestly say if i have to have one gun and one gun only it wont be a rifle.. I would have to choose my .44 mag superblackhawk.. There isnt anything walkin on this earth that gun couldnt handle plus if i want/need to i could load birdshot for those feathery friends.. But since you said rifle i would have to go with my trusty 25/06 reason again would be there isnt anything you couldnt bring down with that and there not that expensive to reload.. Plus you can reach the chucks way out as well
smile.gif

6.5 Bandit

I am presently have a real love affair with my 30 Gibbs. Brass is readily available and easily fireformed. With the right bullets, it can hammer a big brown bear up close or a mulie at 1000yds. For varmint shooting, I would even consider cast bullets. A 150 to 180gr FN cast bullet at 1500 to 1800fps would put a quick end to any varmint out to 300yds. Recoil, barrel wear and cost would be negligible.

My present rig has a 26" barrel and is of a fairly heavy sporter/magnum contour. Fluting this barrel would make it balance better (right now 10lbs with scope). With a muzzle brake, it is very comfortable to shoot. Might go with a 24" barrel, fluting and brake to make it more portable.

That is my perfect all around NA hunting rifle and cartridge. At least for now...

Jerry

kk, you are right as far as I know there is no perfect rifle that will fit everyone. It doesn't have to be perfect just able to complete all the task asked of it.

Ric,since we are in North America lets say from black to polar bears. Range most seem to shoot out to 1000 yards but, you never know if you'll have the time or way to get closer if its a ONCE IN A LIFE TIME TROPHY.

Where everyone hunts in these United States has some type of brsuh to wide open spaces and we have to make the best choice than we can in order to accomplisht that. Remember the frontiersman had squirrelguns to buffalo rifles and made do. Not knocking the custom guns(magnums to peashooters) bullet placement is the key right? Thats why we practice.

To me the 30 cals can do it, the 338 could probably do it better. If there was a way to make something larger that was readdly available work I would choose it but, nothing bigger than a 416 cal
wink.gif
. JMHO hopefully it will never come down to having only one gun but if it ever does hopefully whoever we're hunting with can share some ammo.
cool.gif

One gun, hmmmmm...
I'd have to say I have it already, my Ruger 416wby.

My wife would get one too right? Hers would be the 30/338 Lapua Imp. You see the benifit of having a wife that shoots now don't ya!
grin.gif

GOOD POINT BRENT,I THINK MY 2YEAR OLD IS GOING TO GET HER FIRST GUN SOON. MY CHOICE FOR ONE GUN WOULD BE 300ULTRAMAG.LOAD IT DOWN WITH ACCURATE ARMS XMP5744 AND THEN STUFF IT FULL OF RL 25 OR WHATEVER IT LIKES, SET A 200 GRAINER ON TOP FOR MORE SERIOUS STUFF.JUST A THOUGHT.

Flick, what is the AA XMP5744?

Brent, I was wondering when that big 416 wby was going to come around
grin.gif
. Yes the wife can have one also you just don't get to shoot it. It's hers remembr
tongue.gif

Flick that was a nice try 2 year old.

[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: texas ]

If I could only have one rifle:

either .300 or .338 RUM. the 300 is a tad small on brown bear, and since they are at or above us on the food chain, I would go with teh .338 RUM there isn't anything on this continent that it couldn't handle and arguably it could handle everything including elephant and cape buffalo with the proper loads. (although not recommended)

When "life or limb" is on the line, I'll take the stompin power of any 416... anyday!

Other than that, a big 30 would be my choice for an all arounder!

Cartridge - 300 WSM

Chassis - SR-25 Forged Armalite Upper

Barrel - Lilja 28" 11 twist 3 GROOVE

Scope - NXS 3.5 X 15 R2

12 SHOT MAGAZINE (1 IN GUN, 4 IN POUCH)

Dogs & Coyotes - 125 Nosler BT @ 3,620 fps.

Deer & ELK - 210 JLK @ 2,960 fps.

Big Bears - 253 gr. PRL @ 2,680 fps.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I tend to agree with S1, in part anyhow.

I'm waiting for the last parts for my 6.5 to arrive. If I was allowed only 1 gun, this would definitely be it.

6.5mm /30-RSAUM
29" Kreiger Barrel
BAT Machine Left Port Right Eject 1.470 Action.
Burris BD 8-32 W/Posi Lock/Fine Plex
Richards Microfit Thumbhole In Electric Blue.
Solid Titanium 1 Peice Scope Mounts W/Burris Signature Inserts.
Jewell 700 trigger w/saftey

I will end up with this being a match gun but I can see it being used for a little hunting as well. Varmints out to 1000 may be possible. Bullet selection is terrific. Maybe not the number but the quality is great for 264's. It'll be pleasant to shoot, affordable for LOTS of shooting, and it'll kill anything I care to hunt, deader'n a stick! Recoil, zero. Velocity, I can see 3400 being possible from a 140Gr (about the limit of my last 6.5). And that's pretty flat for all your "point blank" shots out to about 300.

Thankfully, I don't have to make the decision to have only one, since I have entirely too much fun building the next one, and the next one...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.