One Gun?

We raise Pecans on the home place. Seems most farms are planting pecan trees now. We hunted on White Sands Missile Range back when they would open it for three day each year. Best hunting for big mule deer I ever found. Now they only open it for Oryx. I miss those days.
That whole area on the eastern side of the lower Rockies is amazing. We were in Cloudcroft and Ruidoso constantly, Las Vegas area and way up north by Taos and Angel Fire…absolutely gorgeous country.

Turns out I have a condition in my brain that turns "one gun" into one more gun…..
Doesn't seem like I'm capable of selling the deals just always fall though somehow.
Of course I buy the new one first because I'm definitely going to sell some to help cover it🤦🏻‍♂️
I thought it was a rare condition till I found this forum.
LOL, how many of us fall into this same line of thinking? Being in this forum doesn't exactly help either as we're all thinking this same thing!

Anyhow, if I was to have one gun, and although I only have one at the moment, it would probably be a 30-06 since it will probably be able to do everything I need it do. ...but I do love my 308's also...

65Jeffrey, much to the dismay of many on this forum, I've been a "one gun" hunter for use on big game since 1990!
I've never felt over (whatever the hell that is) gunned or under gunned!

To clarify……I have several firearms, but only one big game rifle! That could change if I ever go hog hunting in the thickets where I grew up! memtb
Every situation is different and a rifle is a tool ,always use the right tool for the job!

Last edited:
Obviously an impossible question but.....
I have a fair collection of interesting rifles.
I HAVE a VERY good 30-06....
Do i "need" a new/different ONE GUN for that potential short notice go to the remotes big game hunt? I.E. short notice fill in for elk/moose to prime area.
Im good to 500yds.
Thinking a 7mm Rem or 300 Win?
Love the STW but looking at availability of factory ammo.
Heavy for caliber bullet guy, not especially susceptible to recoil but a 7 does kick less than a 300....and of course 300 hits harder on the downrange end.
Thoughts?
A good 30-06 will do everything you ask..... you,ve got that.... shoot more.... practice.....know your equipment...... if you miss it,s you.... not the equipment...
500 yds. is well within it,s optimum operating distance....

Every situation is different and a rifle is a tool ,always use the right two for the job!

So……how do you define the right tool for the job!

If the firearm/rifle will cleanly kill…..with proper bullets (in my case only one bullet for all big game hunting) at any range that you will be shooting at game, is very portable, very accurate (well within the needs for the game hunted), and fits the shooter like a well worn glove……how is that "NOT" the proper tool for the job?

My choice would certainly not be a "do it all" for many hunters due too several reasons……too much recoil, range limitations due to velocity) with my chosen "do it all bullet" to just under 1000 yards), @ 9# too heavy for some hunters, costs more to shoot than smaller calibers/cartridge, and extended shooting sessions are painful, and a bit expensive!

My rifle is my "do it all" hunting rifle…..not my "do it all" shooting rifle!
Perhaps to some this may be language semantics…..for me, it is merely logical! 😉 memtb

So……how do you define the right tool for the job!

If the firearm/rifle will cleanly kill…..with proper bullets (in my case only one bullet for all big game hunting) at any range that you will be shooting at game, is very portable, very accurate (well within the needs for the game hunted), and fits the shooter like a well worn glove……how is that "NOT" the proper tool for the job?

My choice would certainly not be a "do it all" for many hunters due too several reasons……too much recoil, range limitations due to velocity) with my chosen "do it all bullet" to just under 1000 yards), @ 9# too heavy for some hunters, costs more to shoot than smaller calibers/cartridge, and extended shooting sessions are painful, and a bit expensive!

My rifle is my "do it all" hunting rifle…..not my "do it all" shooting rifle!
Perhaps to some this may be language semantics…..for me, it is merely logical! 😉 memtb
It all comes down to wants needs and choices the fact of the matter you only need one gun to shoot some food. If you have several guns, maybe they are better suited for different purposes and that is your choice, but it is not necessary. I myself have many guns and all are used for different situations.

LOL, how many of us fall into this same line of thinking? Being in this forum doesn't exactly help either as we're all thinking this same thing!

Anyhow, if I was to have one gun, and although I only have one at the moment, it would probably be a 30-06 since it will probably be able to do everything I need it do. ...but I do love my 308's also...
That is a very logical and solid choice and coincidentally that is the oldest rifle I have! my first centerfire rifle was a Winchester model 70 in 3006
image.jpg
40 years ago and I still have it today. It has killed more deer than all my other guns combined.!

That is a very logical and solid choice and coincidentally that is the oldest rifle I have! my first centerfire rifle was a Winchester model 70 in 3006 View attachment 42277440 years ago and I still have it today. It has killed more deer than all my other guns combined.!
Oldie, but very nice looking classic! I like it!

I mean, what's not to like about the 30-06. I can always load it down to 308 levels or load it up if I ever need slightly more punch than a 308, however, bringing the 308 up to 30-06 levels with the heavies is challenging. The recoil is manageable and won't knock my shoulder off like my 300 win mag, 300 wsm, and 7 rem mag. I shot my 308's a lot and always bypassed the 30-06 until I bought a used Savage barrel a few years back for $50 shipped. I was shocked when that barrel shot ragged holes at 100 yards. Needless to say, I now love the 30-06 also.

Oldie, but very nice looking classic! I like it!

I mean, what's not to like about the 30-06. I can always load it down to 308 levels or load it up if I ever need slightly more punch than a 308, however, bringing the 308 up to 30-06 levels with the heavies is challenging. The recoil is manageable and won't knock my shoulder off like my 300 win mag, 300 wsm, and 7 rem mag. I shot my 308's a lot and always bypassed the 30-06 until I bought a used Savage barrel a few years back for $50 shipped. I was shocked when that barrel shot ragged holes at 100 yards. Needless to say, I now love the 30-06 also.

I always liked the .308 Win. ( my first centerfire rifle @age 14) and the 30-06. Didn't get a 30-06 until I was about 60 years old. I'll probably never use it…..but, it would be a great "loaner" for a friend or a relative if they needed/wanted a nice little hunting rifle! memtb

I get progress and I am all about folks experimenting and trying to build better. However, newer does not always equal better and intended use dictates choice. I will never have a need to go bigger than 30-06 for things I hunt and a 308 is usually more than adequate for my intended game. There is something to be said for familiarity with a cartridge, experience will improve skill. I don't intend to migrate from 308 Winchester or 30-06 for hunting unless I have to rebore a barrel….that being said I would be opposed to owning a 35 Whelen or 338 federal.

14 Pages so Far,. Maybe, 20 More Pages to, GO and by then, WE should,.. get THIS, all,.. "Figured Out" !
My One gun Vote goes to,.. the 6.5 Creedmoor ( as, I just Bought One , to Replace, my Tikka, .243 Win. that, my grandson "Borrowed",.. LOL ).
Thinking that, I can kill everything On the Planet with, the 6.5 using, the RIGHT Bullet and,.. IF, IF, IF,.. I can get within,.. 5-600 Yards !
Please DON'T make me, Choose as, My .270 WSM IS,. a Deadly Beast, too !
I've shot, quite a Few Big Game animals ( Antelope to Elk ) with my, old, .270 WBY and New, .270 WSM and have, NEVER,.. lost, One !
From 15 y/o to, my Mid 20's,.. I shot, the OLD .30-06 then thought that,.. I "Needed",.. More,.. LOL !

Last edited:
I hunt with a 30-06. I love it. Fantastic round. I've killed Elk at 505 with it. (well downed the animal) d I am currently in the process of rigging up a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. Several reasons. 1) I happen to have one laying around. 2) I did not feel like the 30-06 had the downrange performance on Elk at 500 yards and where I hunt that's not a crazy distance. 3) There are a lot of scopes coming out that are MUCH cheaper than zeiss, swaro etc. that a lot of people are raving over and I wanted to buy one and try it. So to the OP you should absolutely get a new gun and rig it up for long distance killing.