One down 219 to go in Montana wolf season

Excellent! I'm going to try to get a hold of MT Decoys and see if I can score one of the wolf decoys other wise I think I'll just use my coyote decoy, we've had them in bow range using the coyote decoy while calling coyotes, getting them to respond in a territorial fashion should get them more aggressive and less cautious.

Excellent! I'm going to try to get a hold of MT Decoys and see if I can score one of the wolf decoys other wise I think I'll just use my coyote decoy, we've had them in bow range using the coyote decoy while calling coyotes, getting them to respond in a territorial fashion should get them more aggressive and less cautious.

From the looks of the coyote population in Yellowstone Park before the wolf re-introduction versus now I think you'd have as good or better luck using a coyote decoy. Coyotes used to be everywhere and now when you see one it is a rare occurrence.

sorry i did not get a email back but my warden stopped by to explain the differance between what is legel on coyotes and wolves. he said no attracteds such as sents or lures and no baits. and if your decoy is electric you cant use it with the batterys. we found the fawnzie decoy is working and a cow elk will work. i also have a over sized jackrabbit i'm going to try. for calls seams a lost elk calf is working. just got to get them closer under 80 would be nice.

Here's to you MT folks! Keep up the good work. We're trying to help out with the problem just west of you as well.

Did you guys see where the environmentalist plan to buy wolf tags then call in a kill to get the quota shut down without any actual kills. I thought a guy had to get the hide tagged and the show the skull but that is ONLY if you plan on keeping them otherwise you just have to call it in, we should push the FWP to make tagging mandatory or some kind of proof of kill.

I thought so also till I re-read the regs, I added the bold.

Wolves are excluded from being considered as "suitable
for food". A person that harvests a wolf and wishes to retain
possession of the hide and head must personally present the
hide and skull with evidence of sex naturally attached to a
designated FWP employee within ten (10) days after harvest
The remaining carcass may be taken in possession or be left
in the fi eld as per Montana law.

As a prerequisite to retain possession of the hide and skull,
a hunter must personally present the hide and skull
to a
designated FWP employee within ten (10) days after harvest
for the purpose of:
- inspection and registration of kill.
- verify evidence of sex.
- tagging the hide. The hide tag must thereafter remain attached
to the hide until tanned.

yea i see that too we just called helena to see if there is anywayto change the system. they are looking in to it but it will have to go before the commision and they will have to validate the tags are not being filled. they were already awere this might turn into a problem. the guys going to call me back later wiyh some anserwers. be interesting to see were it all goes.

It won't be hard all they have to do is check the ALS and if they've only ever purchased a wolf tag ever then they can do a kill site verification then they got them on calling in a false report. If they look up ALS numbers and history it will give a clear picture of real hunter vs non.

It won't be hard all they have to do is check the ALS and if they've only ever purchased a wolf tag ever then they can do a kill site verification then they got them on calling in a false report. If they look up ALS numbers and history it will give a clear picture of real hunter vs non.

Now that is good practical thinking - lets hope our G&F does the same.

I'm hunting southwest Montana next month, 4th week of rifle. I thought about getting a wolf tag, but after seeing how much they are for nonresidents ($350) I decided not to. It would suck if I got one now, and got out there next month and the quota had been met.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.