one bullet per gun?

Two loads.

One long range load which gets almost all of the load development time and effort. The long range load is accurate and is loaded with a high BC bullet.

A different load for short range encounters with a different bullet, which gets very little load development time and effort. Normally a bonded lead core bullet or a Barnes TSX, and I'm not very concerned about the accuracy of this load or the BC value of the bullet. Short range load is for short range bear encounters, bear defense around camp, and for shots out to about 300 yards on the targeted game animal. I carry the short range loads in the magazine of my bolt action rifles while hiking around, should I bump into an ugly bear, or should I happen into a closer range shot on the targeted game animal.

I reload for hunting purposes only and always reload using one bullet, powder, cartridge and primer. Although, I generally experiment to get there, I always end up using the same manufacturers for bullets, powder, cartridge and primers for the different rifles/calibers that I reload.

Every rifle I have has one load, one bullet. I spend way to much time and testing on just one load to even think about multiple loads.

I've always developed main hunting load for each rifle but I also have back up load just case bullets get dropped etc and it's there if I need it.

I'm basically one load per rifle with the exception of my 308 MilSpec. For hunting I use a 165 Ballistic Tip. For competition and target I use a 175 SMK. Same powder, brass, and primers though.

1 load per rifle..............I even designate a keg of powder for each rifle and don't use anything else in it until it's gone. I have four different kegs of h1000 for four different rifles. Once a sweet spot is found with a large batch of components they get segregated from the rest of my loading components and designated to that rifle until the barrels toast.

1 load per rifle..............I even designate a keg of powder for each rifle and don't use anything else in it until it's gone. I have four different kegs of h1000 for four different rifles. Once a sweet spot is found with a large batch of components they get segregated from the rest of my loading components and designated to that rifle until the barrels toast.

Now that's dedication! What cartridges do you use with H-1000? I've been thinking of switching to H-1000 from Retumbo, in my newly rebarreled 7wsm.

338 edge#1, 338 edge#2, 7mm rem and 338 win. I Pretty much run with h1000 in any large cartridge, h4350 in the mediums and varget in smaller cartridges. So far I have found loads that were very satisfactory following that pattern and rarely venture outside it. I am always seeking consistency and accuracy more than straight velocity so I don't "experiment" any more than I have to.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts