One binocular to rule the mountains

I have a pair of Leupold 12X50. It's really hard to keep the image from moving unless you're braced up against something solid.

10X is about the max you can go holding free hand without too much movement.

Swarovski at $2900, Zeiss at $8900, Canon at $800 have image stabilization.

I totally agree with the 10X40 is being the workhorse of binoculars. My wife has a pair of Zeiss Terra ED 10x42. I like them better than my Leupold.

Last edited:
The head of Zeiss america and of ziess world in germany teamed up and started GPO. German glass assembled in Japan and then sent back to germany for QC and then distributed out. I bought a pair of the 10x50HD. Great glasses. In the early 90,s I bought a pair of Fujinon 10x70 naval glasses. These are awesome binocs. One october night I set them on a tripod and could see the moons of jupiter. One evening here there is a dead cottonwood a mile from the house. A branch up high with a stick hanging about the size of your thumb. With the GPO I could see that stick for a half hour after it disappeared in the fujinons. GPO also makes this glass with a rangefinder.

I use the Leica duovids that switches between 10 and 15 in AZ upper desert regions and always use them on a tripod. I normally carry them in my pack until I setup to glass. We regularly glass out to a mile or so and need 15x at those ranges. BTX are ideal for reaching out especially early mornings or late afternoon but someone younger has to pack them. It just depends what is most important to your hunting conditions. The good 10x42 will suffice for most circumstances out west but I would say I split glassing time between 10 and 15 about 50/50. I see more hunters out west packing 10x42 binos/rang finder combo (new Leica being very popular) along with the swaro BTX. Sometimes I carry 8x32 swaros around my neck for quick viewing but honestly seldom find it worth the effort unless driving around in a vehicle

Whos played with the new Swaro NL's?
I would like to know feedback on these also. I am considering consolidating all my binos and just getting one pair of these. I have Leupold BX3 HD 8x42 and 10x50 and a Cronus 10x42 Gen 2. Thinking of selling all and getting the NL probably a 10x42. The specs are amazing. I'd like to find out if they are as good to get behind.

Last edited:
I have had the rolling ball issue with the EL. I cant stand them actually. I am hoping the NL are not flattened as much.

I really like the Zeiss 10x54 Victory RF. They have become my favorite chest carry bino's. The range finding function is very easy to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.