One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

.338 Win Mag; Model 70 winchester; 24 inch barrel; Boyd's laminated stock; 2.5 - 10 power Vortex Viper scope; 250 grain Nosler Partition. I'm sure there are equal set ups, but none objectively better.
I agree. The .338WM has reach and accuracy, great BC range in bullets, and enough energy to take down anything but Africa's big three. I would argue that it can take those too, assuming a skilled user, because lesser cartridges have.

For all game including dangerous game I'd probably go 45-70 for closer in or 375 H&H. Both are Ken Waters favs and yes I'm old lol. There are plenty of other good cartridges that fit the bill.

Most firearms suggested in this thread are way too big IMO for the purposes you listed. Its often said a well tuned 30-06 is a 99% solution. I agree. A good load in that caliber will kill anything on the planet...laws on requirements for dangerous game notwithstanding. You can (literally) find a box of ammo anywhere if you need it, I even saw some in a gas station in Zimbabwe. Back in the day, Hemingway et.al. used the '06 on rhinos and elephants with 220 gr solids. You can get an off the shelf mountain sporter in Rem 700 stainless laminate or composite stock, or my favorite the SAKO 85 or if you have a fatter wallet the Fierce Firearm's CT Carbon edge. Browning, Winchester and Ruger also make some nice rigs in that caliber. One of the first three will weigh about 6.5 bs, be very portable and accurate with moderate recoil and muzzle blast. If you want some long legs put on a Viper Vortex 4-16X44 HS-T scope with custom turrets from Kenton industries. (bang for your buck option--you can go stupid on optics if you want). I recommend a good load in 165 gr bullet--my favorite is Sierra Game Changer as its a well known game killer and blended ogive give a high BC and SD. But there are many deadly and accurate bullets to choose from--Nosler partition, or Accubond, Barnes TTSX to name a few of my "go to" bullets. I load for 5 different 30-06 in the friends and family. We mostly load one of the bullets listed above, usually 165 gr (all around bullet) ahead of 57 grs. IMR 4350 (give or take), CCI BR-2 primer and Lapua brass or Nosler custom if we can get it. We get from 2820 fps in my Sauer 90 (sierra) to 2900 in my son's mountain sporter (Barnes TTSX) with a shorter barrel (?go figure?)
With our drop in turrets we easily ring the gong at 1000 yards and have plenty of juice left for shots on big game out to about 700 yds.

I usually use a custom .338. I just picked up a Winchester model 70 Super Grade, maple in 7 MM Mag.. It's
very accurate on paper don't have a clue what it will do on game.

Zeke

38 years now with a 338 of some type,last ten+ 338 NM,does the job.Ive also taken a pile a game with stick n string.
I would have to say the 338 Norma is **** good...I commented hat the 375 ultra is a do it all and I believe that--but my 338 Norma with a 300 grain roundnose solid will kill anything on the planet. As big as elephant... I believe a 240 bulldozer or a 250 elite hunter will kill just about anything else--I'd say it is a bit more versatile...im with sp6x6.

My Sako 270 Win has been great for everything from fox size to coyotes, deer, pigs, black bear and elk, completely adequate for all of my hunting. If I were alone in grizzly country I'd move up to a 30-06 or bigger - or carry a hand cannon (probably both).
In South Africa the minimum approved cartridge for dangerous game is 375, and the PH's backup rifles are often heavier. Cape buffalo up close are huge.

.308 in an AR10. 180gr. FMJ . 10lbs with a full 25rnd mag. .308 has been getting it done for a long time. Simple and effective. Easy to find factory ammo, light rifle with scope and sling, and easy follow up shots. If I am forced to pick one, It's that one.

Attachments

• 20210304_085527_HDR.jpg
    20210304_085527_HDR.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210304_085510.jpg
    20210304_085510.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 25
.308 in an AR10. 180gr. FMJ . 10lbs with a full 25rnd mag. .308 has been getting it done for a long time. Simple and effective. Easy to find factory ammo, light rifle with scope and sling, and easy follow up shots. If I am forced to pick one, It's that one.
Why carry the weight of a 25 rd mag when you won't need more than one bullet to hunt, and won't have time/need for more than 10 in the event of an animal attack?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.