One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

Rifle/Cartridge must meet this criteria: only one rifle allowed
#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#2 - rifle weight - under 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
🌟 additional 👍 points for combo's coming in at less than 9.0 pounds
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

I hope I haven't missed anything!
This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
I have 4 different calibers the first caliber I bought on my own at 18 is what I would go with 30-06 180 grain partition Bullets. If you're really familiar with the rifle the 30-06 just works!!! I have others specific but you said pick one, you can get Bullets every where, probably even in a old hunting cabin anywhere!

By the way, if you haven't tried the 3-point Ching Sling invented by a student of Col. Cooper's, it's pretty amazing for quick shots; very solid. As most of the site I might reference are places to buy it, just do a search.

I have witnessed what a 338 Win Mag will do to big game.

I also like my 338 Lapua, shooting 300 grain Scenars! I also shoot 168 grain Barnes Triple Shock solid bullets, speeds are 4,400 fps plus, just depends what your hunting. The 300 grain Scenars avg's 2,900 +/- fps, 2,800 fps works great.

For medium to big game, the 7mm/284 Winchester works "great"!

I also love a 308, medium size game! It's very versatile. I shoot anywhere from 110 to 210 grain bullets in mine, depending on the game being hunted. It's the best all around caliber IMO. You can use it on big game, shot placement is critical. I am confident enough with mine to shoot 600 plus yards with sub MOA accuracy!

My 338 Lapua, hit a deer, no bones were touched. It totally destroyed everything in the chest cavity, when hit, it put the deer in shock, a few seconds later it fell in it's track. Chest cavity contents looked like cranberry jelly!

I love NightForce Scopes, McMillan A5 stocks, Jewell triggers. I use 20 deg "one" piece scope rails. I find their consistent for every use, vs. the 2 piece rail! I have built several for others who love them, all calibers. I sell a lot of 22-250's in the Midwest areas mainly used for yotes! Various 6mm's are very accurate to 600 yard plus.

Big Game, stick with the top 3 sentences. Good luck, D

Last edited:
Fist an apology....I was incorrect on the weight. The last time I weighed it, was to get recoil shooting from the bench.....no sling. So, the weight shown is with sling and one round......I don't get the "bonus point"! :mad:

Also note, the tape on the end of barrel.....no muzzle brakes! Loud and add unnecessary inches to barrel length. memtb

Top photos, my rifle: Win. Model 70, McMillan Stock, Douglas SS barrel with express sights, Pachmyar Decelerator, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS, in .375 AI, 250 grain TTSX Barnes bullets @ 3130 mv.

aT0rIacl.jpg

EjhMCh1l.jpg

Bottom photos: wife's rifle: Win. Model 70 SS, Win. stock (Tupperware), Pachmyar Sporting Clay's Decelerator, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS, in .338 WM, 225 TTSX Barnes bullets @ 2950 mv

mVTtHVRl.jpg

rXatmkIl.jpg
I love your rifles! What your avg accuracy out to 600 yards, to 1,000 yards?

Dennis, we don't shoot at the longer ranges. We only have a 300 yard range at the house, so that's our usual limit, and we won't shoot game beyond 600 (self imposed). At 300, from bench.....my rifle is capable of 3 shot groups around 1 3/4 to 2". My wife's rifle around 2 1/4" to 2 3/4" groups. They're "not" truly long range hunting rigs, due to group size and we have those self-imposed limits! Energy and velocities should be adequate to a little beyond 800 yards, with our chosen bullets, for most any big game....except the really big game! For our hunting uses....they work well! memtb

I have witnessed what a 338 Win Mag will do to big game.

I also like my 338 Lapua, shooting 300 grain Scenars! I also shoot 168 grain Barnes Triple Shock solid bullets, speeds are 4,400 fps plus, just depends what your hunting. The 300 grain Scenars avg's 2,900 +/- fps, 2,800 fps works great.

For medium to big game, the 7mm/284 Winchester works "great"!

I want to know which caliber is that 168gr at 4400.(i hope so it exist)

I want to know which caliber is that 168gr at 4400.(i hope so it exist)

My 338 Lapua, 9 twist! Barnes Triple Shock are the only bullet that will stay together @ these speeds. I call it my
22-250 on Steroids!

Normal bullets for this 338 are 250's to 300's. It's very hard on the shoulder as it takes a "triple figure" load of powder to push them. We experimented one time with the smaller bullets. Our charge is unbelievable! You want a very accurate rifle with 4,000 fps-plus, with hardly "no" recoil, it's a blast to shoot! And very deadly! Two of us experimented with this, and we both were hitting 4,000 fps plus speeds. "NO" pressure signs on our Lapua brass! Both of us use 28" 9 twist HV barrels.

Let me know if you have further questions, Dennis

Dennis, we don't shoot at the longer ranges. We only have a 300 yard range at the house, so that's our usual limit, and we won't shoot game beyond 600 (self imposed). At 300, from bench.....my rifle is capable of 3 shot groups around 1 3/4 to 2". My wife's rifle around 2 1/4" to 2 3/4" groups. They're "not" truly long range hunting rigs, due to group size and we have those self-imposed limits! Energy and velocities should be adequate to a little beyond 800 yards, with our chosen bullets, for most any big game....except the really big game! For our hunting uses....they work well! memtb

I have sold many barrels in the Midwest areas, WY included. Most wanted barrels that would hold up, mainly HV Contours. They told me they carried them with them all the time. The main use was controlling yotes, wolves, etc.
They wanted barrels that were accurate out to 800 yards. 300 to 400 yards was their normal range. Every Now and then, they would have an 800 yard shot.

I talked a few of them into using 308's shooting 110 grain bullets, 26" barrel, 10 twist! The speeds were "very" fast with a good charge of powder. There not hard on the barrel at all. All of them told me they were extremely happy with the 110's. Their very fast, and sometimes you needed a fast bullet to surprise your prey. The told me they don't stay still, and the 110's did the job for them.

Take Care, Dennis

Few question
Why 9" (maybe even more speed is doable with slower twist ,but slower twist is not that hard on bullets)?
What powder?
Man that is serious energy 7200.

Hey Dennis, What part of South Louisiana are ya from? I'm from Zachary! Two grandsons playing baseball for Zachary High, was supposed to be down there watching them play....but, the virus had other plans! memtb

My 338 Lapua, 9 twist! Barnes Triple Shock are the only bullet that will stay together @ these speeds. I call it my
22-250 on Steroids!

Normal bullets for this 338 are 250's to 300's. It's very hard on the shoulder as it takes a "triple figure" load of powder to push them. We experimented one time with the smaller bullets. Our charge is unbelievable! You want a very accurate rifle with 4,000 fps-plus, with hardly "no" recoil, it's a blast to shoot! And very deadly! Two of us experimented with this, and we both were hitting 4,000 fps plus speeds. "NO" pressure signs on our Lapua brass! Both of us use 28" 9 twist HV barrels.

Let me know if you have further questions, Dennis
Your having to dial DOUBLE the windage with that set up as apposed to a Berger 250, you loose any energy you gained before 100 yards and by 800 yards your below the impact speed typically TTSX start having opening issues. I can't make that set up make sense for anything.

Hey Dennis, What part of South Louisiana are ya from? I'm from Zachary! Two grandsons playing baseball for Zachary High, was supposed to be down there watching them play....but, the virus had other plans! memtb

Born in BR, currently reside in DS. Yes, the smart ones are laying low right now. Hopefully this virus won't last much longer. When did you leave Zachary?

Your having to dial DOUBLE the windage with that set up as apposed to a Berger 250, you loose any energy you gained before 100 yards and by 800 yards your below the impact speed typically TTSX start having opening issues. I can't make that set up make sense for anything.

We wanted something easier on our shoulders! I have never shot them over 300 yards. We can shoot the rifle all day long with the 168's. Experimenting and playing around.

When we get serious, the 300's come out! And your shoulder comes out as well!

Born in BR, currently reside in DS. Yes, the smart ones are laying low right now. Hopefully this virus won't last much longer. When did you leave Zachary?

I moved to Wyoming in 1985! Lots of kin, kids, grandkids and a few great grandkids living "down yonder"! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.