One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

Rifle/Cartridge must meet this criteria: only one rifle allowed
#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#2 - rifle weight - under 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
🌟 additional 👍 points for combo's coming in at less than 9.0 pounds
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

I hope I haven't missed anything!
This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
Mine would be my cz550 375H&H with 2-7 Nikon scope weighs about 10 1/2 lbs mag loaded but only load when ready
I always use a rifle strap
Bullet weight depends where I am hunting and where
Also have a custom brake on it
That's just me

I'd go with a Sako Finnbear Deluxe in 375 H&H with a Nightforce 4-16x50. If I'm hunting polar bears, that action better be smooth as butter and that scope better not fail. I'd trust both Sako and Nightforce with my life. I've shot a Finnbear for 10+ years that I rechambered to 6.5x06 AI. I would choose that one until Grizzly and Polar Bears came into the equation.

So....memtb, what does "your" rifle/package for all of North America look like?
Pictures please :)
Fist an apology....I was incorrect on the weight. The last time I weighed it, was to get recoil shooting from the bench.....no sling. So, the weight shown is with sling and one round......I don't get the "bonus point"! :mad:

Also note, the tape on the end of barrel.....no muzzle brakes! Loud and add unnecessary inches to barrel length. memtb

Top photos, my rifle: Win. Model 70, McMillan Stock, Douglas SS barrel with express sights, Pachmyar Decelerator, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS, in .375 AI, 250 grain TTSX Barnes bullets @ 3130 mv.

aT0rIacl.jpg

EjhMCh1l.jpg

Bottom photos: wife's rifle: Win. Model 70 SS, Win. stock (Tupperware), Pachmyar Sporting Clay's Decelerator, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS, in .338 WM, 225 TTSX Barnes bullets @ 2950 mv

mVTtHVRl.jpg

rXatmkIl.jpg

Last edited:
How are you getting that 225 TTSX in your wife's 338 to 3130fps? I have some of those bullets and would LOVE to see velocity anywhere near that in my Sako.

gotta believe that's a typo, I wouldn't even want to try to get to that speed with a 210...

The Inuit up Northern ran the 303 Britsh Lee Enfields for everything's,,, Caribou,,, Muskox to Bears,,, they like the 22-250s and 223's for seals and foxes,,, less pelt damage...

They are slowly getting the new 308 ranger rifles now,,, kinda of small in todays world of thing's,,, but its what the government offer them at no costs...

Free of charge if they are part of the Northern Ranger team,,, might fine rifle id say...

The Inuit up Northern ran the 303 Britsh Lee Enfields for everything's,,, Caribou,,, Muskox to Bears,,, they like the 22-250s and 223's for seals and foxes,,, less pelt damage...

They are slowly getting the new 308 ranger rifles now,,, kinda of small in todays world of thing's,,, but its what the government offer them at no costs...

Free of charge if they are part of the Northern Ranger team,,, might fine rifle id say...
Still got mine I did a build on in 1973 and it is great it's now scoped and a beautiful black American walnut stock which took me one winter to make by hand and another to years to get the oil finish
Now has a few scratches due to my ring on my finger but everyone is a memory lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.