One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

The trouble with throwing bear protection is it is so rare. I am not a huge fan of killing bears. Never killed a polar bear or a grizzly coastal or interior. To be a show stopper on anything like that you need mass and a lot of energy. with a resting heart rate of 8 beats per minute a grizzly needs to be knocked down either CNS hit or massive skeletal damage or he will close your short distance and start chewing. The hole in the heart will only limit his chew time. A true close range show stopper on a big bear starts at .375. I just don't think .375 anything is the perfect all around North American Cartridge. Can we take Bears out of the conversation on the next one?

The trouble with throwing bear protection is it is so rare. I am not a huge fan of killing bears. Never killed a polar bear or a grizzly coastal or interior. To be a show stopper on anything like that you need mass and a lot of energy. with a resting heart rate of 8 beats per minute a grizzly needs to be knocked down either CNS hit or massive skeletal damage or he will close your short distance and start chewing. The hole in the heart will only limit his chew time. A true close range show stopper on a big bear starts at .375. I just don't think .375 anything is the perfect all around North American Cartridge. Can we take Bears out of the conversation on the next one?

Certainly......you're up to bat! But, it was "my" sandlot! ;) memtb

They bring in tranquilized polar bears by helicopter to the Polar Bear Prison in Churchill MB,,, even the 650 to 800 lb'ers with the Purple tongues look kinda of scarey...

Absolutely no fear of man what so ever...

They pop them with Telus-all tranquilizers,,, their bodys are in limbo,,, but their eyes are active,,, they watch our every move...

Kind of freaky...

Its quite a task to net and sling the 1000 to 1200 lb'ers,,, chopper has to come out with limited fuel on board to get them off the ground,,, they pack them short distances to prevent running out of fuel...

A few trips back and forth for the 5 seater Bell Choper's...

What a sigth to behold,,, Polar Bears coming in by long line swinging 4 to 800 feet above our heads...

One needs to see the prison bars at the jail house,,, they would almost hold back a D6 cat or make a 220 EX HOE struggle to knock off a gate/ door... Those Bears sure know how to work those bars...

Big Red X before flying them out onto the pack ice,,, 2 strikes and your done...

They dont mess around up there... Humans and Polar Bears will never mix...

Idk, I have no plans to hunt "brownies". But in terms of bear defense, I don't think my 6.5 PRC with good bullets will be much different than a 300 wm.
Idk, I have no plans to hunt "brownies". But in terms of bear defense, I don't think my 6.5 PRC with good bullets will be much different than a 300 wm.
I have a lot of faith in my 6.5 PRC, but not that much. Maybe with two .453 Casuls.... one on each hip.

I live in bear country and they are in all places. IF i wanted a great rifle and the best bang for the buck a weatherby vanguard in 338 win or 300 win . I perfer the 300 win over the 300 weatherby and the 338 win over the 340 weatherby the bear will know no diference and the cost of ammo is 3x for the weatherby. they both have the same energy and same range. the vanguard is one of the the most accurate comerical rifles made. The syn blue is the best buy and probaly the best in bad weather.

I also, am "not" a bear expert.....but I think that grizzlies, browns, and polars, as a general statement, have a different personality than a black bear. Think Pit-Bull vs Labrador Retriever, they're both dogs....but, a little different. Now that I've gone out on that limb.....a 200 pound bear of any of the aforementioned species, can terminate your existence in a fairly short period of time! That little bear with a bad attitude can be very dangerous! Also, not all lower 48 grizzlies are "small" bears. There is a mounted grizzly in the Meteetsee, Wy museum (20 miles as the crow flys, from where my wife and I hunt) killed near town....when brought in and weighed, exceeded the scales limit of 850 pounds. If someone had met that bear at close range and he were aggressive..... the "object of the bear's affections" could not have carried "enough" rifle to feel "over-gunned"! ;)memtb
I have killed a lot of black bears and have always felt like they are more of a big coyote than a smaller brown bear. They are easy to kill - we spot and stalk them every year, had lots of one shot kills with 243's and 6mm CMs from 300-700 yards.

Last edited:
I have killed a lot of black bears and have always felt like they are more of a big coyote than a smaller brown bear. They are easy to kill - we spot and stalk them every year, had lots of one shot kills with 243's and 6mm CMs from 300-700 yards.

Yes....not hard to kill. Have taken black bears with handguns and rifles. Though, never have to "stop" an aggressive one....may be a little tougher. Same with the more aggressive bears, they can be taken with most any firearm....stopping an aggressive one, may be a different proposition! memtb

Yes....not hard to kill. Have taken black bears with handguns and rifles. Though, never have to "stop" an aggressive one....may be a little tougher. Same with the more aggressive bears, they can be taken with most any firearm....stopping and aggressive one, may be a different proposition! memtb
kind of like a redneck easy to stop when blindsided but a mad one head on is a different story

This is from a University of WA study.
The research shows that the bears' heart rates decrease from around 80-90 beats per minute in the summer to about 18 beats per minute in the winter (ranging between 8-24 beats per minute).
I'm not saying I don't agree with you on knock down power, mass and energy, being your friend if staring down a charge. I also agree with the "throw the bears out of the argument" idea.

This is from a University of WA study.
The research shows that the bears' heart rates decrease from around 80-90 beats per minute in the summer to about 18 beats per minute in the winter (ranging between 8-24 beats per minute).
I'm not saying I don't agree with you on knock down power, mass and energy, being your friend if staring down a charge. I also agree with the "throw the bears out of the argument" idea.

The primary point of this exercise, was to get people "out of their comfort zone". For them, to attempt to put together a (as in one) rifle package, single cartridge, to use for "all" of North America.....knowing that compromises would have to be made! I just wanted to see how people would approach "this" scenario/criteria....where and how they would make their compromises!

About 31years ago, I put myself through a similar process. I put together "my" rifle/cartridge package, it meets all of the listed criteria. While I'm limited to 800-900 yards maximum ( Leupold CDS scope limitations), with a self-imposed limit of 600 yards.....it's worked, as desired, for 30+ years! I can even get "bonus points", for being sub-9 pound.....if I hunt with only one round in the rifle! ;) memtb

Correction: I "don't" get the bonus points! I was 3 ounces over....my memory's not so good! :(

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.