One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

HAH - HAH about pepper spray you say? Really? HAH-HAH???\

My SHOT SHOW pepper spray dealer said it's been TESTED as being EXACTLY approximately+- 95% effective (under some or other conditions), but he was not
able to specify specifically what those conditions would be. Go figger. You buys your ticket, you takes your chance, sounds like.

Last edited:
Really good thread. I like the 35 Whelan idea & was playing with an idea of 338-06 x a 225 gr Whadda Whackers, or better. I've never tried either one. The 35 Whelan was given high marks in this thread as a very good Big Boar getter.
There so much in these forums I don't know where to start looking regarding the 338-06 as a 'good getter', or not so much. Can some one direct me to such a thread on this forum?
A 'getter's good, right? OK, maybe? So - so?
I can't help it; just like to play wit da dialeckt.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Goldengun, we've got plenty of grizzlies right here in the lower 48, maybe not Alaska plenty....but plenty. About 12 years ago when sheep hunting....I saw more grizzlies than sheep. Could've tagged out on a real nice grizzly on first day at camp! :) Heck, a couple of years ago, one was visiting (actually the gully behind) the Dairy Queen in Cody pretty regularly, and a sow with 2 cubs liked to "hang-out" at the corn field maze near Powell. That was a bit disconcerting to the parents of kids that wanted to play in the maze!:eek: I guess that kids with pepper spray.....wasn't good publicity for the event! o_O memtb
Yes I know we have grizzly's in the lower forty-eight and i mean no disrespect to them, and I'm no bear expert but I've always thought big browns in Alaska are on a different level.

I went through this exercise last year. I bought a Christensen Arms BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC. Mounted a Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 in nightforce UL rings and a tall Atlas CAL bipod. All in I am at 10.2lbs. I have plans to shoot the 156 berger for everything. I regularly hunt in grizzly country in Idaho and am planning on an Alaskan moose hunt in 2021 with this set up. Would I hunt a grizzly with it - you bet. Would it stop a charging grizzly? Maybe maybe not, but I came to the conclusion that nothing but a shot to the face is going to stop one with anything less than a .400 + caliber, so I am betting my life on a 156gr berger and am at peace with it :). Realistically I'll have a sidearm when I am in that country, but I know that wasn't part of the game:)
Will your guide "allow" you to use this for a brownie?

Yes I know we have grizzly's in the lower forty-eight and i mean no disrespect to them, and I'm no bear expert but I've always thought big browns in Alaska are on a different level.

I also, am "not" a bear expert.....but I think that grizzlies, browns, and polars, as a general statement, have a different personality than a black bear. Think Pit-Bull vs Labrador Retriever, they're both dogs....but, a little different. Now that I've gone out on that limb.....a 200 pound bear of any of the aforementioned species, can terminate your existence in a fairly short period of time! That little bear with a bad attitude can be very dangerous! Also, not all lower 48 grizzlies are "small" bears. There is a mounted grizzly in the Meteetsee, Wy museum (20 miles as the crow flys, from where my wife and I hunt) killed near town....when brought in and weighed, exceeded the scales limit of 850 pounds. If someone had met that bear at close range and he were aggressive..... the "object of the bear's affections" could not have carried "enough" rifle to feel "over-gunned"! ;)memtb

I also, am "not" a bear expert.....but I think that grizzlies, browns, and polars, as a general statement, have a different personality than a black bear. Think Pit-Bull vs Labrador Retriever, they're both dogs....but, a little different. Now that I've gone out on that limb.....a 200 pound bear of any of the aforementioned species, can terminate your existence in a fairly short period of time! That little bear with a bad attitude can be very dangerous! Also, not all lower 48 grizzlies are "small" bears. There is a mounted grizzly in the Meteetsee, Wy museum (20 miles as the crow flys, from where my wife and I hunt) killed near town....when brought in and weighed, exceeded the scales limit of 850 pounds. If someone had met that bear at close range and he were aggressive..... the "object of the bear's affections" could not have carried "enough" rifle to feel "over-gunned"! ;)memtb
i agree completely

.300WM
Vary bullets by animal
Honestly this, a 12 gauge, and a .22 is all you would ever need but please don't tell my wife that.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.