One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

A 9,3x62 would meet most, if not all of your requirements. Mine is a CZ 550 American (now discontinued) with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 long range duplex. Scoped, strapped and fully loaded (it holds 5 with one in chamber), my CZ is under 10 lbs. With a Nosler Accubond 250 gr or 286 gr Partition, I would be comfortable out to 300 yards and probably beyond with the Accubond. I would probably choose the Partition if hunting big bears but either bullet would work for anything in NA. Ruger and several others manufacture this caliber. Right now, my CZ is one of my most accurate rifles and I reload for 10 different calibers.

+1 for the 9.3 x 62

As several others have said my 9.3 x 62 would be my choice. It's on the power level of the .375 H&H magnum without the added recoil. The .35 Whelen is known for 250 grain bullets. The 9.3 x 62 is known for 286 grain bullets. With 250 grain bullets your hunting range extends to 400 yards with the 9.3 x 62.

It's gaining popularity in the States, but it's already very popular world wide! It will kill anything from deer to elephants, and is allowed for use in many African Countries that only allow .40 Cal or higher because it's a known elephant dispatcher.

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

Rifle/Cartridge must meet this criteria: only one rifle allowed
#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#2 - rifle weight - under 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
🌟 additional 👍 points for combo's coming in at less than 9.0 pounds
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

I hope I haven't missed anything!
This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
That's easy. Jim Shockey used a Thompson Center muzzle loader. . 45 and .50 caliber.

If I wasn't so fond of my Retina where it is I would say Roy's .378 would be the ultimate do all, but The complete rig would run 12 - 13 pounds. That thing is a masher on both ends.
I just "crunched" the numbers....a 12 pound .378 Weatherby, pushing a 260 grain bullet to 3045, has less ft/lbs recoil than my 9 pound .375 AI. Which really isn't bad.....and I'm pretty much a "wuss"! memtb

If not all that practice drawing the glock and putting 5 hardcasts in a pie plate in LESS THAN 3CSECONDS!!! should pay off!!!

Good words, I'd only add to do it from the draw. Personally I'd be very happy with 3 rounds in that time frame from the draw but into a 6" pie plate. :)

Now, if that plate surprised you from inside of 15 yards on a full charge.....likely you'd "never clear leather"! At least, the rifle "should" be in your hands.....just saying! ;) memtb

I just "crunched" the numbers....a 12 pound .378 Weatherby, pushing a 260 grain bullet to 3045, has less ft/lbs recoil than my 9 pound .375 AI. Which really isn't bad.....and I'm pretty much a "wuss"! memtb
I don't know. Maybe it's the curve to peak or I don't know, but I found it to be the most abusive, unpleasant, least comfortable shooting experience I've had. I have not shot the 375 AI, but I rather enjoy the standard 375 H&H. It's like habanero without the seeds. Great flavor with a pleasant kick, and you don't crap blood in the morning.

I don't know. Maybe it's the curve to peak or I don't know, but I found it to be the most abusive, unpleasant, least comfortable shooting experience I've had. I have not shot the 375 AI, but I rather enjoy the standard 375 H&H. It's like habanero without the seeds. Great flavor with a pleasant kick, and you don't crap blood in the morning.

A pretty good bit more abusive than my 11 or so pound .375 H&H. 20 rounds from the bench with my AI....I don't shoot accurately the next day. The shoulder is a bit tinder. I can easily go 40 + in a day with the heavy H&H. It's definitely a "different animal"!

I probably should "qualify" that 40+ rounds statement. 30 years ago, it was a non-issue...
haven't done it lately! memtb

Now, if that plate surprised you from inside of 15 yards on a full charge.....likely you'd "never clear leather"! At least, the rifle "should" be in your hands.....just saying! ;) memtb

a chest holster is my only chance when it comes to getting into action quickly, other wise clothes get in the way...and at that, yes you would really have to have your game face on

0691ED12-9919-4C03-8A7B-8F37A912E295.jpeg
15F8E0E0-ED8E-4541-87F2-4D7D9341C004.jpeg

Sako AV left hand .338 Win Mag, Leupold 3-9x40. 225 Nosler Accubond @ 2700fps. Just under 9 lbs.

The good old gel shoulder pad to get the heavy hitters sigthed in,,, then get at it on the hunting grounds...

Recoil seems to disappear when there is a good size critter in front of the sigths,,, I know I wouldn't feel nothing from 1 or 2 shots to plant them in their tracks.

Oh Yha

375 ultra...this is truly the do it all rifle. Mine is a shade over 11 lbs-but could be built a lot lighter. 24 in barrel I have found milks out most of the velocity of the cartridge. A 23 in barrel with muzzle brake gets most of the velocity and still keeps overall length great--and the brake keeps it shootable. Shoot 281 grain hammers with another load of the 299 shock hammers kill anything anywhere. I love the 375 HH but will tell you the 375 RUM is the best designed 375 out there. Plenty of zip, hits like no other.shoots fast and flat out to 500 easy. I have shot mine all over the world, from Cape buffalo at 20 yards, to a nice Roan at a little over 300 from as big as giraffe and elephant to springbok..and all in between

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2788.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG
    684 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.