Once-fired shorter?

Boozer

I'm still new to this and learning...

I have a bunch of once fired (in my rifle) rem brass that I'm reloading. I was going to use a fl die to just bump the shoulder .001-.002 as recommended. Curious issue is that my once fired brass is on average actually .001-.002 shorter to datum line than a few loaded remington factory rounds that in using for comparison purposes. I am using a hornady headspace gauge, and am getting pretty repeatable measurements.

When I use my redding premium FL sizing die, I can't even get it to touch the shoulder, even if over-camming with a bit of pressure. OAL of the case does not measurably grow after sizing either. So I say to myself "fine, if the the headspace is bumped back already, no sense in touching it". But this all seems very weird, and not in line with the reading I've done.

I have not yet tried to chamber any of these, and will give it a shot tonight.

I'm still new to this and learning...

I have a bunch of once fired (in my rifle) rem brass that I'm reloading. I was going to use a fl die to just bump the shoulder .001-.002 as recommended. Curious issue is that my once fired brass is on average actually .001-.002 shorter to datum line than a few loaded remington factory rounds that in using for comparison purposes. I am using a hornady headspace gauge, and am getting pretty repeatable measurements.

When I use my redding premium FL sizing die, I can't even get it to touch the shoulder, even if over-camming with a bit of pressure. OAL of the case does not measurably grow after sizing either. So I say to myself "fine, if the the headspace is bumped back already, no sense in touching it". But this all seems very weird, and not in line with the reading I've done.

I have not yet tried to chamber any of these, and will give it a shot tonight.
There is NO POINT using a factory case as a reference, only worry about the dimensions of your fired cases. Once fired brass is NOT a good indicator of your rifle chambers dimensions, it takes at least 3 full pressure loads to get brass to fully fill the chamber, the reason is due to 'springback'. New brass is more elastic and will have the most amount of springback over it's life time.
I have a few rifles with absolute minimum or below SAAMI chambers, resizing this brass takes another thought process. When sizing, a case grows longer just before the shoulder is bumped, if the die is too long, it won't size the case enough and hard chambering will ensue. Using a feeler guage between the case head and shellholder overcomes this problem.
If you neck size for 3-4 firings only, then measure your fired cases, it should give you a good chamber measurement, if still under SAAMI, you'll have to experiment with the right feeler guage size to get your cases 'just right'. Once determined, buy another shell holder and have the TOP of it reduced by the amount you measured it took to size your brass correctly.

Cheers.
lightbulb

I think I understand what's happening.... The redding set contains 3 dies, full length, neck, and bullet seating. My seating die has "ST 4S" stamped on it, the neck sizing die has "NK 4S" stamped on it, but full length die I had been using say "ST 4S". Shouldn't it say FL or something similar?

I think redding goofed. I think they sent me a bullet seating body with a decapping rod in it, instead of a full length sizing body. It makes sense, the die wasn't really touching anything but the neck, and (something I hadn't noticed before) as I screwed it further and further in, it put a crimp in the end.

Can anyone tell me what their full length die body says?

from what you said i gather you are right. it sounds like you have two seaters and a neck die and no full length sizer. i would call redding. right away. i have shot both neck sized and full length . no difference in accuracy.

You are correct.
FL die should say FL ##, NECK die NK ## and SEAT die ST##.
Each cartridge has a different designation number, your die is 4S, my 375 Weatherby die is U6, on all 2. No neck die is available for mine.
Contact Redding, tell them the issue and they should replace it.

Cheers.
gun)

I think redding goofed. I think they sent me a bullet seating body with a decapping rod in it, instead of a full length sizing body. It makes sense, the die wasn't really touching anything but the neck, and (something I hadn't noticed before) as I screwed it further and further in, it put a crimp in the end.

I've become less and less impressed with Redding quality control and quality.

I like their T-7 turret press a lot but their case trimmer was another story. It came with a screw missing and after trimming just a few nickel plated cases, their $18 cutter head was toast for trimming .308 caliber cases. The latest issue is one of their shell holders which seems to be several thousandths of an inch taller than others which makes sized cases a bit too long for some chambers.

Will probably start with midway, where I bought it. From what I hear they are pretty good about making things right. It's unsettling to hear concerns of quality with redding. I dropped almost $120 on this set, which is 2-3 times what I would have spent if I just "went cheap". I'll give them then benefit of the doubt, and chalk this up to a weird mistake...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.