Once fired 300 ultra brass won't fit

capture

Official LRH Sponsor
I have two 300 ultra rifles and when I shoot one rifle and then full length resize the brass it won't fit into my other rifle. They will both take new brass cases. Has this happened to anyone else? If so is there a die out there to get the once fired brass back to specs at the web? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Will it fit back into the rifle it was originally fired in?

If so, you will now have to sort your brass and keep them with their original rifle in order to get them to fit.

You might want to take a "won't fit" brass, color it with a Sharpie, and then try and load it into the rifle. You should see marks where it sticks. I'm guessing that the case is a bit fat near the bottom and you'll see this upon inspection. Other than keeping brass assigned to one rifle I don't know of a way to fix this.

Are they factory rifles or custom?
What brand brass?
What dies are you using?

If the the chambers are SAMI spec and the the dies are setup properly to resize back to SAMI spec. Then the brass should work in either rifle after it is resized back to SAMI. That simple.

This is easy to determine, take a fired case from each rifle, measure the expansion ring of each PRIOR to sizing, write it down, re-size the cases and measure again. The difference should be obvious.
An easy fix is to have 2 die sets, one for each rifle.
Are you FL sizing correctly, is the press handle 'camming over'?
I would suggest custom fitting your brass for each rifle, buy a headspace gauge, another die set and keep cases separate for each rifle and size for .002" shoulder bump, this should give the body the correct dimensions also.
This is very common that cases fired in one rifle will not fit in another, chamber dimensions vary quite a bit, even by the same manufacturer.

Cheers.
gun)

It is not uncommon to find the headspace different enough that brass from one rifle won't fit another rifle.

As for virgin brass fitting each rifle, the brass is sized smaller by the factory than what you can do with your standard FL die. This is a very common practice.

FL size the brass just enough to fit each rifle as Magnum Maniac said.

Instead of buying a second FL die once you figure out where to adjust the FL die for one rifle use a feeler gauge to determine the exact gap between the end of the die and the shell holder. Do same procedure for other rifle. If you have to make contact with shell holder then write that down. Or camming the setup etc. When you go to size for either rifle adjust to the feeler gauge and then try one in chamber. It may require a slight tweak tighter but it saves you a ton of time with the trial and error approach to a proper fit.

The main thing is that you must keep the brass separate for each rifle.

I have always loaded for multiple rifles in the same caliber. 3 RUMs, 3 (maybe 4) 300 Wby. etc..

It could be a fat base or body or both so that when you resize the shoulder moves up. Yes, the case can actually get longer.

It is the recommended procedure to keep brass from each rifle separated. Resizing to the minimum size to make the brass fit in multiple rifles will: over work the brass, shorten its usable life and create an opportunity to learn about failure during shooting (not a good learning opportunity)

IIWM:
Keep the brass for each rifle separate from the other.
Get the Hornady tool or get good at the sharpie method.
Get separate FL sizing dies.
Consider having a die custom honed for the "problem" rifle.

Set the die up for the shortest headspace gun and buy a set of sip Otto die shims $15 and use the correct shim under the die for the second gun. Very easy to use one die st with the shims for multiple guns.

How old and how many rounds how gone through them.I had two 300 win mags that I had the same problem.Found out the older ones bolt face was not square and the brass was taking the shape of the old one.New brass wound go in both,but the brass of the one with the bad bolt face would not go in the other until I had it squared up

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.