? on sierra MK's...

G

? on sierra MK\'s...

i just got an Encore 6.5-284 24" barrel and i am searching for a good bullet to use hunting. animals would include antelope, deer and elk. some people are suggesting a nosler partition, but the accuracy is not the greatest. i have heard of some people using MK's for hunting. my question is, has anyone shot an animal with a MK and failed to harvest it or required a second shot?

Re: ? on sierra MK\'s...

Nope, I haven't had ANY problems with a Match King in any of my rifles and I have tried most Match King bore diameters on game.

That's the only bullet I like or will use for Longrange hunting.

They work great at close range to.

The 142 Gr and 155 Gr will work fine in your 6.5/284 "IF" you have the 8 or 9 twist. Preferably the 8 twist.

later
Darryl Cassel

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

I have shot a number of animals with the Sierra MatchKings and there are a few I didn't get, this was probably not due to the bullet. I sometimes misplace animals and they also disappear in the confusion of killing them during crop damage shoots. I have at this point NOT used a 6.5mm MatchKing on anything.

I have watched a friend of mine shoot a few deer with a 6.5 x 284, some ran off never to be found. This was also during some crop damage shoots and I attribute some to less than ideal shot placement and others to bullet problems. I have heard more than once that the 142 and/or 140 6.5mm MatchKings don't perform as well as other MatchKings on critters. I'll try them myself once I have my 6.5x284 and if I have similar results or misgivings I'll try other Match Quality bullets, perhaps the Hornady A-Max.

dave, what i wanted to see was "all 1 shot stops". maybe i should use their GK
confused.gif
speers TBBC/grand slam or partitions
confused.gif

BTW, my twist is 1x9.

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: radnur22 ]

To get a one shot stop that puts the animal in its tracks with one bullet ALL the time is a little far fetched (IMO).Just cause they may run off doesn't mean the bullet failed.The animal was full adenaline,Alerted and so on.To get a one shot kill or stopped in its tracks find a bullet that shoots sub .5 moa and shoot for the head or spine.For that you can use a full metal jacket or partition or whatever shoots best in your rifle.You can get one shot stoppers with alot of bullets but all depends on shot placement and what the animal is doing(resting,eating, bedded).Just yesterday i was out calling coyotes and one snuck in within 20 yards of me and got it with a 260 remington with a 107 Mk and it did a complete flip in the air and had an exit wound bigger than a softball.
Also took out both shoulders

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: Matt27 ]

i should re-phrase my last post. 1 shot to kill the animal, discounting bad hits (non-vitals). furthermore, the animal need not drop, although that would be nice
grin.gif

Radnur22

All one shot kills is pretty difficult as already pointed out and re-addressed by you.

I should point out that I've shot HUNDREDS of deer with the MatchKing, most were shot with the 223 and the 69 Sierra MatchKing, many also with the 6mm 107MK.

I don't believe that for most folks the difference between a Partition and a MK would amount to much, placement is most important.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.