On second thought, selling 6.5 CM rifle, buying 6.5 PRC

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Litehiker, May 14, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jreagle

jreagle Well-Known Member

My experience with the 6.5 PRC in a 24" bbl reflects your findings as well and the 147 factory shoots below velocity listed on the box.
    So far, for me, the 3k range would require a lighter bullet than 140 class.

Hiwayman92 likes this.
  2. jreagle

jreagle Well-Known Member

one more thought to consider. a 6.5 PRC with a 24" bbl is a nice field gun IMO. for max velocity a 26" or 28" bbl is needed to take advantage of the slow burning powders and heavier bullets.....

3. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

So... maybe instead of ordering the Browning X-Bolt Pro (24" barrel) I should order the X-Bolt Pro Long Range (26" barrel).
    Hmmmm...

Eric B.
    P.S. jr, thanks for that Hornady 6.5 PRC link. I printed it.

4. CUTTER1

CUTTER1 Well-Known Member

The 6.5 PRC is what the Creedmoor should have been from the start!
    For those who reload it is absolutely amazing! Like the 6.5X284 it is a very versatile and easier to load for. Not over ore like the 26 Nosler!

5. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

So your PRC beats your Creedmoor load by roughly 100 fps in a 2" shorter barrel, and you're still not happy with the PRC? More performance in a more compact package seems like a win to me.

Reloader 26 today is what Reloader 17 was for a couple years. When it works it works really well, but it's pretty hard on barrels. I don't think Reloader 26 is a good fit for the PRC though; I'd look at something a little slower and you'll likely see better performance in the PRC.

6. Hiwayman92

Hiwayman92 Well-Known Member

It beats my Creedmoor by about 60-80 fps accurately. I’m not saying I don’t like it, I’m saying that a 26” barrel really makes slower burning powders shine. I’m going to try H1000 more, and 8133 as well. I envisioned a 147 at 3k out of this rifle. That’s where I’d like to wind up.

7. Litehiker

Hiwayman,
    Yep, but 143 gr. ELD-X bullet at 3K muzzle velocity is exactly where I would like to end up as well. I hope it is achievable with no pressure problems and a nice 1/2" to 5/8" group at 100 yards. A boy can dream...

Eric B.

8. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

Your results have less to do with a slow powder in a longer barrel and more to do with using a powder that's faster than ideal in the PRC. The longer barrel/slower powder myth has been debunked many times.

jd5521 likes this.
  9. Litehiker

What are the powders used by Hornady, Federal and others to create "Superformance" cartridges that give faster speeds W/O higher pressures?
    Are they available for handloaders?

Eric B.

10. jd5521

jd5521 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Hornady’s website will give their load data for the 6.5prc with several powders and charged used to get you going.