? On rebuilding mid 2000 rifle.

orangeride

Hi guys. I built a rem700 around 2006 or so in 338 ultra. At the time it was cutting edge. It's finally due for a replacement barrel, I'm installing another Krieger of the same profile. At the time I used a H-S precision sporter stock which I'm guessing is around 2.4 or 2.5 lbs. since I often carry the rifle and backpack hunt with it I was looking for simple ways to drop a little weight. Is there much to be gained by swapping to a different stock? It appears there's stuff out there that is sub 2lbs. Is there something specific someone could recommend. Thanks for any help.
Aaron

I have a McMillan game scout edge. I have not weighed it yet but guessing by all I read it's 28-30oz. That would save a bit for you. You could find lighter stocks with McMillan with a smaller profile than the game scout.

Have you changed the scope out since the 2006 build? There can be some good weight saved there, newer scope models will have significantly better glass to the point you might be able to drop an objective size down, or get a magnification range tighter to what you actually run. I run a 2-7x and the quality of those small magnification scopes has gone up a lot lately. Leupold makes a couple of very nice models with illuminated center dots and simple reticles.

Maybe look at single piece mounts if you have a steel rail/steel ring set up also. I ran a DMX Game Reaper on my 300 RUM and the scope didn't slip, was their 8-screw model but saved a few ounces.

Thanks guys. Ya it's been through a few scopes over the years. I'm running tally rings and bases, with swaro 5-25x52. I had a older z6 2.5-15x56 so I'm saving a couple oz there. We hunt 90% of the time in the rolling sage of Wyoming so long shots are pretty regular.

McMillan will have convulsions if you tell them you are using an Edge fill on anything larger than 300 Win and I did have a 338-06AI crack the lug area on a Hunters Edge. However, I have the same stock on a 300 RUM with no issues, but only shoot it off bags and never in a weighted Lead Sled. The long actions usually run about 26 ounces with a little bedding in the recoil lug area. The beefier models like the Game Warden, Sporter, and Game Hunter can be kept to 32 ounces while providing a higher comb. Red Hawk Rifles sells the Grayboe Outlander stocks @ two pounds for way less money than a McM. I only have one, but it seems well made and strong.

I use a lot of AG composite stocks . Light weight , tuff as nails and have a decent turnaround time compared to the others . Mcmillan is a steadfast as well .