? on load development 28 nosler

horse killer

I have been working up a load for my new rifle in 28 nosler. The rifle is based on a 700 rem action Kregier 26 in barrel 8.5 twist in a greybull stock. the question I have is should I keep on trying to improve my load or stop where I am. What I have is as follows.
necked up 26 nosler brass
load is H1000 at 78.5 gr
180 berger vld
215 federal primer
3035 avg fps
6 shot group .65 inch at 100 yards
es of 10 and sd of 5
little disapointed on speed but am showing slight ejecter marks.
looking for a rifle to hunt elk and be able to make up to 700 yard shots.
any input would be appreciated.

That velocity sounds pretty good to me for 180 grn, I would be happy, but that's my opinion

How many rounds down the tube? Seems really slow to me. I'm running my modified version of the 28 nosler which I've named the the 28 Yukon at 3230 with a 180 and it has less case capacity then the nosler. Try Retumbo or Ramshot magnum as well. If you have less than 60-70 rounds down the tube velocity should jump around 80-100 rounds. May jump anywhere from 30 to 80 fps.

If you get some more rounds through your tube and as cpg says, and get an additional 80 fps behind your mv, you will be right on course with chuck hawks 28 nosler [the first look] with nosler factory ballistics.

I only have 45 rounds down the tube. hope it will improve.If I can get my hands on some Retumbo will try it. Only have 1 lb of retumbo and it is my go to powder for my
7 rem mag. and do not want to use it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.