On fire tonight double whammy.

Ohlongarm

Called two in,shot both distressed turkey call.Details later,both 17 WSM.Both neck shot,no blood,female rear,male front,stopped the female as she loped off with pup distress max volume.about 75 yards,i'm guessing.Notice the huge bulge in the females neck,like a sack of jello.These two have been howling behind house last week or so,22000 acres houses lots of these.
two.jpg

I wonder if that female had a goiter? Very cool stuff! "Doin' right ain't got no end."
Yes sir believe this caused it,amazing ,i'm liking this 17 more and more,this winter with heavy coats and body shot i'll access the caliber.Found this exit wound in the big males neck after sitting overnight,pretty impressive for a tiny round,distance was 71 yards,and 85 for female.

Attachments

• 17cal.jpg
    17cal.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 218
  • wound.jpg
    wound.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I don't know if this is the same for you, but in my Bmag, the POI out to 100yds, is nearly the same for me with the 15 and 20gr ammo which makes switching back and forth between the two a lot easier. That 15gr ammo generally shoots as well, if not better, than the rest of the 17 WSM ammo. Midway USA had a big sale on the 15gr stuff, even had free shipping, a couple years ago so I loaded up on it.

I don't know if this is the same for you, but in my Bmag, the POI out to 100yds, is nearly the same for me with the 15 and 20gr ammo which makes switching back and forth between the two a lot easier. That 15gr ammo generally shoots as well, if not better, than the rest of the 17 WSM ammo. Midway USA had a big sale on the 15gr stuff, even had free shipping, a couple years ago so I loaded up on it.
You are 100% correct the 15 grain shoots pretty much in the same hole,the 20,not as good but acceptable,25 grain barely acceptable,we'll see what happens Boyds stock going on this week,then I'll sight in with all three loads and see.

Have any of you guys measured the twist rate of the rifling ? I wonder if the 25-grain bullets are a bit too long to fully stabilize, and that's why everybody is getting better accuracy with the lighter & shorter bullets. Those tiny little bullets sure do fix coyotes with goiters.

Have any of you guys measured the twist rate of the rifling ? I wonder if the 25-grain bullets are a bit too long to fully stabilize, and that's why everybody is getting better accuracy with the lighter & shorter bullets. Those tiny little bullets sure do fix coyotes with goiters.
All the Bmag's for the last few years have 8 twist barrels and the accuracy with the 25gr ammo is still relatively mediocre.

It's really unfortunate Winchester doesn't invest better quality control with the 17 WSM ammo because the 17 WSM has a lot of potential and could be a great, relatively inexpensive, little varmint hunting cartridge.

my guess is the volume does not warrant it, the HMR is 20 or 30 to 1 more popular, so you know the amount of ammunition sold for HMR is huge. Around here it is rare to hear of someone with a WSM, everyone has an HMR though.

my guess is the volume does not warrant it, the HMR is 20 or 30 to 1 more popular, so you know the amount of ammunition sold for HMR is huge. Around here it is rare to hear of someone with a WSM, everyone has an HMR though.
No doubt about it, the 17 HMR is far, far more popular than the 17 WSM.

BUT, since getting my 17 WSM, I hardly ever shoot, either, of my 17 HMR's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.