? on custom turrets

horse killer

I was wondering on how someone would order the proper custom turret. The biggest question is how is some one that lives at 500 ft elevation going to gather the proper data for a turret that will be used at a elevation 7500 ft elivation. Do you have to travel and find a range that is up to 400 miles away and gather data or is thear some other way to do this.My gun will be back from my gunsmith in 6 weeks and I will be working up loads. the gun is a 28 nosler with a 26 kreiger barrel hopeing to be shooting 180 bergers at or close to 3100 fps.will be using this gun for elk hunting . As of now looking to extend my range from 350 yards to 700 yards. any sugestions would be appreciated.

Forget the custom turret. Use your moa turret. Buy a G7 or Leica 1600 and Kestrel 4500AB. Either of these options work under any conditions.

If you know the altitude where you will be hunting, then you could use that data when ordering it. Just sight in your rifle at your elevaton with the turret, then fine tune it when you get to your hunting elevation. You should shoot your rifle anyway once you get to your destination to make sure it is still "on".

I know when you buy a Huskemaw you get 2 custom turrets when you feed them your sight-in info and they'll make them for whatever elevation you plan to hunt. Or you can get a moa turret for it.

Shoot your rifle and record all the data then order the turret for the altitude you want it will be good for plus or minus 2000 ft of elevation. Or order a G7 rangefinder and be done.

When you talk of gathering data, I assume you mean the initial data for trajectory validation. Then I think you are wondering about needing to collect again at conditions matching your intended hunt. That is not necessary, although it is always good to practice on the field where you will play the championship game, so to speak. The load will perform how the ballistic math says it will, as long as you have validated data to start with. You can do all your load workups at home, then have turrets made for the expected conditions where you wish to hunt and they will work fine, just be sure to zero upon arrival on your hunt. Of course, if money is no object, the G7BR2 has already been mentioned. Found mine on sale....

Just my 2 cents here...

I made my own turret label by shooting at known distances and marking the turret. You can wrap with tape or use paint and either mark with pen/marker, or etch the paint. I have also made my own custom turrets on a lathe so I can interchange them.

Horse Killer :
You didn't mention what scope you have but if you contact Kenton Industries at 1-805-531-0476 they make custom turrets for all scopes and if you have your dope on your rifle and load they will match it to what you are using. I live in California(hey I'm out of here in 4 yrs.) but anyways I've calculated different scenario's and the point of impact doesn't change that much for you to miss a shot. I think miss judging the wind etc. is more of a problem than distance.
Just my two cents.
gun)

This is a Kenton, in what they call their "Military" format. My drop data custom yardage, and the standard MOA around the bottom. The best of both worlds...

Attachments

• Turret examples 004.JPG
    Turret examples 004.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 87
I have successfully set up turrets at my home location of 350ft and used them at locations at higher elevations. While I have had success out to 1000 yards with yardage turrets set up this way, for longer shots I prefer using MOA adjustments. What I like to do is order a tape that has both a yardage scale and an MOA scale. Given you you have solid inputs and verified the drops at your home conditions, order your turrets at the elevation and temperature conditions at your hunting location. I will use the yardage scale for shots out to 500 or 600 yards where variations in temperature and elevation at my hunting site have little, if any effect on POI and is very fast to get in action once you get your range. For longer, more technical shots, I will use the lower MOA scale for greater accuracy. I have included the website for Custom Turret, below. The are low cost, top quality, and can be ordered with both scales. IMO.

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

Assuming you live somewhere near San Luis Obispo than Sequioa Nat Forest east of Porterville is more like 200 miles away. Screw shooting ranges go find a steep ridge (no shortage of those in Sequioa) and test your load. I luckily live in the foothills at 2000' so I'm only an hour away from either as high or as low as anyone can really expect to shoot in the USA. I try practicing from field positions at various altitudes as much as possible.

Out to 600 yards it doesn't make much difference in pretty significant temp/elevation changes. With most flat shooting cartridges inside 600 yards the error is likely going to be less than the typical 1/4 MOA scope click anyways.

I have the Custom Turret tapes on my .308 and they are a great inexpensive way to try out the system. I plan to eventually replace with a Kenton engraved. Any of them are only as good as the data you put in them but the Kenton has much more of a cool factor than the tapes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.