My 6.5-300 Weatherby shot in dead on at
100 yds will drop 46" at 600 yds. I have
a 17lb. rifle that is very pleasant to
shoot. No brake is needed using only
83grs. of H870. What would I have to go
to caliber wise in order to shoot say
6" to a foot or more flatter? GEG

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: GEG ]

SLAP really is a 4 letter word, remember you heard it hear first.
grin.gif

Just for kicks run 4450fps through your calculator with 250grain(BC.450)Barns.My calculator & field experience says 29" @ 600!
Got a couple of gentlemen working on a .7-.8BC bullet that should realy fly flat.Now if I can get them to group a little better?????
SLAP is not a new word Sam....unless you got one that groups????Quit teasin us and explain

S1, I do not understand SLAP! This rifle
was built for me by Ray on a 700 action
and a 30" Mike Rock 5R barrel. My career
Navy son and I put this rifle thru its
break in and that is what it did. I
was not sure if 46" was good or bad for
a fast 6.5 142gr SMK with 83gr of H870
as we never had a 6.5 before. I ask the
question looking for an answer so as to
determine where I was at on a "flat
shooting" scale not to be funny. Thanks
for the info guys. GEG
be

I am not sure on what the actual velocity of this could be but how about taking that down to a 6mm and shooting 105 amax or berger vld at 4000fps should give you at least a foot better at 600.

Was not realy trying to be funny just giveing an example of what can be done with a different caliber & powder range.The 375/50BMG MachV is flater but at a greater cost of powder,Brass & recoil.
Your figures are about what I am hopeing for with the 6.5WSM when it arrives but hope to get to 1500yards with it.
A long range prairie dog trip in late June will shed a little more light on the 6.5 as there will be a 6.5Winmag,6.5-284,6.5-06 & a 6.5WSM represented.
CJ

I forgot to mention that you can load a 30 cal sabot in in .50 and get the same trajectory, like a laser..

GEG.....Sorry, I never meant to offend you. I think your rifle shoots very flat relative to most. I was actually paying you a compliment, by implying that to get much flatter than what you are already shooting, you would have to go to a different technology which employs the use of a Sabot for increased cross sectional area to gain velocity. There is a type of ammo used in 50 cals called SLAP which uses a sabot and a long narrow tungsten projectile fired at near 5,000 fps. and flies rather flat relative to what you and I shoot for hunting and other targets.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never
have had any dealings with 50cal. stuff
so did not know what it was. As far as
the 6.5-300 Weatherby goes, it looks like it is going to be a flat shooter that will take
deer size animals down a lot further than
I can hold it. Thanks to DC for putting me on to it. Anything flatter would as you
say be moving into an area I do not need to
go. The 17lb. part is going to be a real
trip to pack when I need to use it for
hunting but at least I will know I do not need to get close(inside 600yds) with this rig! THANKS GEG

Geg,

Using almost 1/2 the powder charge your using (44gr of 4064) in my CHeetah with a 100 yard zero I have to adjust my elevation to be 7" high at 100 to be on at 600 yards. Thats 42" at 600 yards if I am not mistaken.

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.