? on a new build

thunderchicken

I tried posting this same information on another site and got a bunch of ego and here's the caliber I shoot relpies. My smith is about to start my second semi-custom build. Components are 700 action,Broughton #5 .284 fluted ss 9 twist that will finish up to 26.5 but could drop back to as little as 24,Mcswirly stock, HS detachable bottom metal. I have in mind going with a 7wsm or 280AI but am torn between the two chamberings. My smith has a 7wsm reamer already but it utilizes a 300wsm case necked down. I currently have a 280AI I love dearly but its in a 17lb gun and I want this build to be a go to for medium range work out to 600yds but if the opportuinty presented itself be able to hold its own out a little further. Here's the kicker. I don't want to turn necks and I would like the ability to improvise my handloads if needed while on the road hunting (example would be shooting a standard 280 round in the AI if push came to shove to salvage a hunt) My plan is to use this rifle for deer sized game and the possibility of using it on elk or moose. I would like input from people that have experience building or own rifles chambered in these calibers. Thanks for the help.

I did not see if your Rem was a LA or a SA and what bullet you want to shoot? If its a LA the 280AI gets my vote I have wanted one for a long time.

The WSM could be built on either action but I also did not read if you had a mag or standard bolt face?

WSM is going to push bullets a bit faster not buy much but a bit.

I did not see if your Rem was a LA or a SA and what bullet you want to shoot? If its a LA the 280AI gets my vote I have wanted one for a long time.

The WSM could be built on either action but I also did not read if you had a mag or standard bolt face?

WSM is going to push bullets a bit faster not buy much but a bit.

+1

If it is a short action the 280 wont work. if it is a long action ether will work.

Don,t decide based on what reamer is available . buy a reamer in the cal an designed
to do what you want. (A new reamer is arround $100.00 + or -.

There is a lot of discussions on the AI at present on this web site. try to read as many
as you can before you go with the AI and make sure you have the right reamer and
head space gauge.

They are both very good cartriges. The 7 WSM is a short version of the 7 Rem Mag and
is its ballistic equal with all but the heaviest bullets. It needs the Magnum bolt face.

Decide what you want and go for it.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the input fellas. I am building on LA so either will work. My plan is to be able to shoot 140 or 160 accubonds. Currently the bolt is a standard but my smith can open it up to a mag if I go that route but I have not ruled out just buying one from Dave Kiff. I have one of his bolts in my heavy 280AI and like it. My major concern on the 7wsm is the fact that its the redheaded step child of the wsm's. Winchester brass is the only brass available unless you neck up or down from the 270 or 300 case. That is what my smith has been building for people wanting a 7wsm ( 7mm 300wsm) which in my understanding will not accept an out of the box 7wsm due to the slightly larger case on the std. 7wsm. I don't plan of shooting out of the box ammo but in a pinch with no reloading equipment available I would like the option. I started off wanting to build a plain jane 7 rem mag but my smith said he would not do that if it were him. I will agree the belted mags can be touchy to load for.

From what you describe, the 280AI will more than meet your needs. I would lean that way.

Second, I would not spend the money on a factory action for a new bolt or opening a bolt face and truing an action etc etc, when you can sell it add the same money and buy a custom action ready to go that is way better than any modified factory action.

Look at the stiller predators, tooley orions ($825 with fluted bolt that has sako or m16 extractor and melonite coated with threaded bolt handle already)

BH

From what you describe, the 280AI will more than meet your needs. I would lean that way.

Second, I would not spend the money on a factory action for a new bolt or opening a bolt face and truing an action etc etc, when you can sell it add the same money and buy a custom action ready to go that is way better than any modified factory action.

Look at the stiller predators, tooley orions ($825 with fluted bolt that has sako or m16 extractor and melonite coated with threaded bolt handle already)

BH
Wow thats a realy good point I did not think of that.

On the 7mm RM and the belted case your smiths opnion is just that his opnion I shoot a belted mag and it was the most trouble free load I have ever worked up for any rifle!

I have had rifles built both ways. Unless you are going to really keep your budget tight and only have your smith barrel and chamber your donor Rem. 700, the custom action is the way to go. By the time you have all the work done on that M700 receiver, and for all intensive purposes you should, you will NOT be that far off what a custom receiver build would cost.

I believe Shawn Carlock @ Defensive Edge is a bit of a fan of the 7WSM, and, well, his results pretty much speak for themselves.

FWIW, my vote would be custom action and 7WSM.

I looked at going the custom action route with a stiler predator or tac but they are up to the $1000 bill now if you buy new. I have all my components for the build and all are new Rem 700 LA , Broughton #5 SS fluted,McSwirly Classic, HS detachable bottom metal, factory rem trigger tuned to 1.5lb and custom built break. If I keep my factory bolt with this line up I only have $880 in parts and my smith's bill will come in at around $500-600. That is truing the action, chambering, stock work including bedding. I can't drop the name of the smith on this board but his reputation for acurate rifles is superb. My value is in his services and with quality components and his abilities I could not see dropping the extra $500 on a custom action. So I guess you would say I am doing this on a budget! I just have to settle on the caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.