Older Weatherby

jdyoung

LRH Team Member
Tell the shop owner you are interested and would like to confirm the caliber. I'm sure he would as well. Suggest he cast the chamber.

DocTahoe

My 1963 German action Mark V is also marked .300 Magnum.
It is definitely a .300 Weatherby. Most likely that gun you are looking at is also.
Just checking Gresham's excellent book on Weatherby shows 300H&H was chambered in 1958-59 in the Mark V built in South Gate Serial numbers from 15000-16224 but not on the German actions.
I don't see other 300's listed on early ones.
Maybe give Weatherby a call and double check.
Good luck with it, I love mine!

orifdoc

It’s most likely .300 Wby, but don’t guess. Weatherby could tell you from the serial number. Some of those old guns are real shooters. Might have a 1:12 barrel though.

skipglo

LRH Team Member
There is a local gun shop near me, it has an older Mark V and the barrel is only stamped 300 magnum. I like the gun and I don’t know if that 300 wby mag or 300 win mag.
Ask the gun shop to put a 300 Weatherby shell in it... problem solved...and NOT A 300 WM.... Because it will chamber! And leave A TON OF HEADSPACE and other space!

Rflshootr

I saw a guy at a hunter's sight in program shoot 300 Win Mag cartridges in a 300 Wby chamber. It hit the paper at 100 yards but not very accurately. When he ejected the spent brass it looked like a 300 Wby with a neck about an 1/8" long.............sent him on his way to go buy the correct ammo.

Tulsa Reiner

I guess there is another option too
But you said it is a (Weatherby) Mark V, and he answered for Winchester Model 70. I doubt that Weatherby ever made rifles in a Model 70 action. Does anybody know differently?
It sounds like you already have the answer, before I posted this.

Dmagna

LRH Team Member
Thanks for the input. I am going to pass on the rifle, didn’t really want a 300 wby and it’s a little bit too much money for the rifle.

Lenny Foffa

Weatherby has a service that I have used in the past . Send them the serial number of the rifle and they will send you a written letter as to the date of Mfg. ; the caliber, and the first gun shop the rifle was shipped to. It cost $20.00 about 15 years ago. Split the cost with the gun shop. For $10 bucks you eliminate any guessing .

Trending threads

Recent Posts