Older Weatherby

My 1963 German action Mark V is also marked .300 Magnum.
It is definitely a .300 Weatherby. Most likely that gun you are looking at is also.
Just checking Gresham's excellent book on Weatherby shows 300H&H was chambered in 1958-59 in the Mark V built in South Gate Serial numbers from 15000-16224 but not on the German actions.
I don't see other 300's listed on early ones.
Maybe give Weatherby a call and double check.
Good luck with it, I love mine!

It's most likely .300 Wby, but don't guess. Weatherby could tell you from the serial number. Some of those old guns are real shooters. Might have a 1:12 barrel though.

There is a local gun shop near me, it has an older Mark V and the barrel is only stamped 300 magnum. I like the gun and I don't know if that 300 wby mag or 300 win mag.
Ask the gun shop to put a 300 Weatherby shell in it... problem solved...and NOT A 300 WM.... Because it will chamber! And leave A TON OF HEADSPACE and other space!

I saw a guy at a hunter's sight in program shoot 300 Win Mag cartridges in a 300 Wby chamber. It hit the paper at 100 yards but not very accurately. When he ejected the spent brass it looked like a 300 Wby with a neck about an 1/8" long.............sent him on his way to go buy the correct ammo.

Weatherby has a service that I have used in the past . Send them the serial number of the rifle and they will send you a written letter as to the date of Mfg. ; the caliber, and the first gun shop the rifle was shipped to. It cost $20.00 about 15 years ago. Split the cost with the gun shop. For $10 bucks you eliminate any guessing .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.