older 10-10 vs 5-10 scale

I have a 10-10 pre-Mexico that is great. I check balance zero before I load and it never needs rebalancing unless it has been moved. I have kept the old 505 as well and it's ok, but I had to rebalance it a bit more often. A friend has the 5-10 and hasn't had any issues.

About two weeks back I was moving things around on my loading bench and knocked my 10-10 off and broke the main base/frame. I almost passed out. Had it for at least 25 years. With them not being made anymore I started a search. Found a bunch on Ebay and started the bidding. They are going in excess of $100 on the bidding. Found a OHAUS, which makes the RCBS scales, looks the same except tan and all parts interchange and finally struck a deal on it.
The 10-10 is the best scale I have used. I used the 5-10 for a few years and found the 10-10 for a good deal. Both work great. I check my scales against a digital I have several times during a run while reloading and it is always on. I really never needed
anything over 500 grains until I started loading for my Sharps and I check my cast bullets in 550 grain on it after lubing.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. The 5-10 is much less cash and easier to find. I have compared it to the 500 grain Lyman my buddy uses and they are accurate to within a kernel or two of powder.
You can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck

Mike

While I do love my digital, I would dump it in a heatbeat if it came a choice between it and my 10-10. I picked up my 10-10 in a trade 40 something years ago and it was pretty old then but it still works like a charm and as long as it's zeroed properly, always accurate. I cross check the digital with the 10-10 often but if there's ever any doubt, I go with the 10-10!
Cheers,
crkckr

Having a 10-10, 5-10 and 5-0-5 Depending on weight, they are all outstanding. When measuring powder, I always double check ANY digital weight with a Beam Balance to ensure the Digital is accurate. After that, I check every 10 cases to ensure no changes. BTW - the beam balance, al there, are sensitive enough that I have to turn off any air current generator (fa OR A/C).

Having a 10-10, 5-10 and 5-0-5 Depending on weight, they are all outstanding. When measuring powder, I always double check ANY digital weight with a Beam Balance to ensure the Digital is accurate. After that, I check every 10 cases to ensure no changes. BTW - the beam balance, al there, are sensitive enough that I have to turn off any air current generator (fa OR A/C).

Pete, I use a piece of cardboard to block the 10-10 when the AC comes on. I've had the big three electronic throwers and like you, was always checking throws with the 10-10. I finally got rid of the electronics and just use the micrometer hand powder thrower and the 10-10. Thought if I didn't trust the electronic, why bother with it. Did keep one electronic for the .223 AR, but now selling the AR in favor of a high capacity 12 gauge.

Pete, I use a piece of cardboard to block the 10-10 when the AC comes on. I've had the big three electronic throwers and like you, was always checking throws with the 10-10. I finally got rid of the electronics and just use the micrometer hand powder thrower and the 10-10. Thought if I didn't trust the electronic, why bother with it. Did keep one electronic for the .223 AR, but now selling the AR in favor of a high capacity 12 gauge.
Thx for the cardboard idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.