Old Timer / New 7 STW Build

dok7mm

Back in 1988, I was quite content to climb around the mountains, chasing Mulies with my trusty .280 in a Brown Precision stock, believing I had the best hunting rifle there had ever been. Then the Shooting Times arrived and life hasn't been the same since. Layne's article set me on fire and I bought a 7mag rem 700 as fast as I could find one. I spent weeks calling every smith in the country looking for anyone with a reamer. I had a friend, with the same itch, call me with news he was picking up his Ruger #1 in 7STW the next day. My next call was to Charlie Robertson @ ScoreHigh Gunsmiths in Albuquerque. It was just a new chambering job and a brake I added after shooting the Ruger #1. I bought a couple hundred Rem 8mm brass and necked them down and went to developing loads w/ Nosler 140 solid bases and 140 BTs and after a couple of false starts, hit the jackpot with IMR-7828. I nursed it along for 1500 rds before it lost it's 1/4 moa accuracy. My son's smith talked him into a 7RUM for a rebarrel and it broke my heart. I am now putting everything together for a new STW, a TAC-300 action, Manners EH-1 stock, Jewell trigger, and an experiment ---a 26" Bartlein w/ a 10 to 9 gain twist barrel. TPS rings and a Sightron lll 6-24x50mm LRFFP for glass. Don't expect rifle til Dec. but will try to post pics and targets later on. Twenty-six years of loving the 7STW, but Charlie's building me a new .280, never been without one. I'm not much of a joiner, but couldn't resist the STW Brotherhood.

Thanks, MudRunner. We have so many better components nowdays, ie heavier bullets, greater powder choices, match primers, better chronographs and ballistic calculators. The most important factor is the ability to connect quickly with fellow STW shooters if we have questions about loads or bullet performance. I have my ideas, but am open to input from others. Kind of nice being junior member of anything at my age.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.