Old stock Herter’s bullets

dwcpsc

Greeting folks. New to the forum and I appreciate the addition. During the last year I started reloading due to ammo shortages. I'm going through some of my dad's old reload supplies (over 60 years old since I never remember him reloading but I do remember he and I hunting with some of his reloaded ammo. Unfortunately at that age I lacked the wisdom and foresight to ask him about all that.) I've come across some Herter's jacketed 150 gr .308 semi pointed that he used for a 30.06 he made (which I still have and use) as well as some 30 cal. flat nose for his 30-30 and some 100 gr .243 for the .243 he made (also still in action). On a side note I've also found 1000 CCI no. 200 rifle primers and that just thrills my soul. Anybody have any reload data/suggestions for the Herter's bullets? My dad's been gone about 15 years. It'd be nice to put a few down range in his memory. Thanks again for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard from northeast Texas. I'm sure your Dad had a reloading manual, he may have even had a notebook of his pet loads. It would be worth the time to find it. Kudos for honoring his memory.
Thanks. I did check. He had an old Speer Number 6 but no Speer bullets. And there were no notes in the manual. It looks like he was fond of Herter's. He also has the reload dies for 30-30, 30.06, and .243. I don't know if they were more cost friendly options then. It would have been in his early years with Humble Oil before it was Exxon and while an engineer, didn't make much then. And knowing my dad, it wouldn't surprise me to have him reloading just for the precision. I'll post some picture of the bullets. There are a few remaining "live" rounds but I am not going to shoot them. They weren't stored well through the years.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I don't have a comparator. I've used an empty cartridge with bullet seated long (with needed adjustments after closing bolt and then removing cartridge) to try and get an accurate measure of getting to the lands. Worked pretty good with my .308 so far.

Well, no reload data BUT I did find original paperwork instructions as well as a little envelope from Herter's with the hex wrench and additional decapping pins. That was a nice find.

IIRC, older Herters were made by Norma (or Lapua who made their brass), but either way, they tended to shoot very well. I would simply use a modern reloading manual with the correct weight and style, or similar, and work up a load. For your purposes with these bullets and shorter ranges, I would not waste too much time or components on an indepth search for utmost accuracy. Load and hunt so to speak.

Last edited:
Some of the herters bullets were made by Speer. I have a couple boxes of 235 grain in .375 dia, and they're exactly like the speer 235 grain. Also have 2 boxes of 30 cal., 180 grain. They're not speer, but I have no clue who did make em', but I do use the load data for the speer bullets. Haven't had any issues yet, and they shoot good.

Welcome to the forum.

Last year I came across some 308 diameter Herter's bullets in 180 grain.
My brother was looking for a new load for his .30-06 700 Remington.

We determined a starting overall length by fully prepping five cases and loosely starting the Herter's bullet.
After carefully chambering and extracting these dummy rounds we used the shortest measurement and subtracted .030" as a starting point.

As to powder, I used IMR 4350. I don't have the load data in front of me right now (and it wouldn't apply for your lighter bullets anyway). As these Herter's bullets were cup and core construction I went through six different loading manuals looking up 180 grain data for various cup and core bullets. I stuck to the conservative side for a range of charges for development testing.

Watched for pressure signs and all worked out fine.