Old School to New School

Lpart

I guess I need a little encouragement. I have spent 50 years with conventional optics chasing velocity to reduce the amount of my holdovers. I am trying to leave that behind and enter the world of dial up scopes. I have a new rifle and a Nightforce 2.5-10. My problem is between my ears. I have not been able to develop a load for my new rifle (300 WSM with 215 gr Bergers) that will successfully give me around 2850 fps. I have good loads at 2650 to 2700. I should be able to say that is fine, loads are consistent, ES are small etc and rely on my BR2 rangefinder and Nightforce scope. I know I should, but I am still struggling with it. It should be noted I am primarily a hunter and have a self imposed max range on game of 600 yards. I like to shoot steel etc beyond that for fun.

Would appreciate it if someone could confirm that I should forget velocity as the end all and look at accuracy and then my good equipment.

Thanks.

Your on the right track.. a slow hit is better than a fast miss...

IMO... I would also want to run it faster... around 2800+... generally speaking less time in the air is consistent with better results...

Stick with what you have and keep banging the steel and it will help build your confidence. Confidence is a big part of this game...

Just as a thought.. you might try shooting the 200gr berger as that would probably get you closer to your target velocity.

Just as a thought.. you might try shooting the 200gr berger as that would probably get you closer to your target velocity.

I think overall you're on track. The velocity that is most interesting to me is terminal velocity. If your limiting yourself to 600 yards (me too) there are other bullets that will work as well as the 215 Berger.

I've had good luck with 200 grain Accubonds, and Game Kings from a 30-06.

Always hard to choose "best" out of the good choices available these days.

I've always been curious as to the fascination people have with velocity over accuracy. To me, the most important item is to know exactly where my bullet will hit, not how fast it is going. Speed doesn't necessarily equate to accuracy. On my reloads, I start low and work up, and let the holes in the target tell me if the charge is appropriate. I've got a chrono, but I've not taken it out of the box yet. I've loaded several thousands rounds of without using one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.