Old Savage rebarrel

Tiny Tim

A buddy has an old Savage 110 in 270 Winchester with a junk barrel. He's considering rebarreling to 243 Winchester. Any problems with the long action doing so? Any feeding issues. He doesn't reload and seems enamored with the 243? Are the better options? Just get an inexpensive new rifle? He'd likely be into it for $350-$400 to rebarrel.

Should work fine. Might have cases not fully eject if you cycle the bolt too slowly. I have a 7BR on what was originally a .30-06 savage 110.

You can work on the feed ramp and lips if needed but usually will feed and cycle without any changes at all. Like said don't cycle ultra slow, I assume its a blind magazine stagger feed if older and they are easy to tune on. My son uses a 308 in a long action 110. Good mid priced barrel (Criterion at NSS) will fit the rebarrel budget and should shoot real well, if you can get a barrel wrench and action vise (they aren't bad $ either) you can do it in less than an hour.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts