Old savage 110 hard bolt pull

TriggerTime426

I have a older flatback style savage that I just rebarreled to a 6.5 prc 26 in. I went out to shoot it for the first time and had some factory hornady 147 eld m and they barely chamber, wasn't too exited bout this since my rebarreled howa 6.5 prc also doesnt like the factory hornady...now the handloads chamber real smooth and so I shot one and the bolt lifted fine but would not pull back without a ram down it did 2 more same result, the load was imr 7977 56.5 gr with 156 berger eol same as my howa takes. I loaded up some 140 gn real light at 54 gn and it didn't get stuck but pulled back hard. I'm only getting 2840fps with the 156 berger and would like to see at least lower 2900s without pressure, is this a pressure issue or a rough chamber issue beings that I can lift the bolt fine?

Color the fired brass with a black sharpie chamber it and pull it back and look for rub marks that might help you narrow it down

Are you sure about your load data? Hodgdon shows a max of 54.7 gr for the 153 gr A-Max which is 1.8 gr less than what your load is. I have 2 - 300WM that have different load max on same 200AB, only off 0.7 gr different but still showed some pressure signs. I've always considered bolt pull back as an indicator of the case web expansion as an issue either from sizing, brass itself, dirty chamber (oils, powder) , chamber issues rough or even too polished etc. The old 110's have really good extraction so betting probably not that as an issue. heck, I am always trolling gun shows for older 110's for that reason. Hard to find in decent shape.

There are a lot of threads on the extraction issue on LRH if you do a search that may help as well. Here are some examples:
LINK: LRH Extraction Threads

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data Hodgdon Reloading (2).png

Not sure what reamer was used, as far as the load data I might be a touch hot but I don't see any other pressure signs there is no extractor swipes and the primer looks good. It's wierd cause usually you get a hard bolt lifted with too much pressure

Couple of thoughts that are easy, one shoot a load that is within the load book just to see if the case expansion at the web area is not the culprit. Measure the web on fired cases against unfired to see what the difference is.

I did shoot some 140s that were in the middle of the data and they didn't get stuck but I couldn't pull back the bolt while prone I had to stand up and manipulate the bolt...and 2 of the of the 3 156 bergers stuck to the point of having to ram them out

So I couldn't find my feeler gauge so I'll have to grab it from work tomorrow, but it looks about right....I set my headspace with resized brass so I took the barrel off the action because I'm not wild bout the brass method. I took apart the factory ammo and that head spaced different than the resized, so I ordered go no go gauges to do it right and go from there

Yep, the HS is not right and it will be different between the 2 cases for sure. I prefer a go guage and 1.5 thou with slight resistance. The primary extraction ramp should only have .080. I doubt this is your issue tho unless you modified the bolt or action.

I have a older flatback style savage that I just rebarreled to a 6.5 prc 26 in. I went out to shoot it for the first time and had some factory hornady 147 eld m and they barely chamber, wasn't too exited bout this since my rebarreled howa 6.5 prc also doesnt like the factory hornady...now the handloads chamber real smooth and so I shot one and the bolt lifted fine but would not pull back without a ram down it did 2 more same result, the load was imr 7977 56.5 gr with 156 berger eol same as my howa takes. I loaded up some 140 gn real light at 54 gn and it didn't get stuck but pulled back hard. I'm only getting 2840fps with the 156 berger and would like to see at least lower 2900s without pressure, is this a pressure issue or a rough chamber issue beings that I can lift the bolt fine?

Bill Cauley got it right. Use a marker ot machinest die on the case. The markes left by the chamber could have its own story to tell. Who's barrel are you using? May need to be lapped out for a final finish. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts